• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Want to build a 426 hemi

Reaction score
I came across someone who might be able to help you with parts and information for the hemi.
Bob Walker at www.hothemiheads.com
Hot Heads Research & Racing has been around a long time and can also help with the earlier hemi motors.

heminut

Reaction score
The early hemis (392 & 354) are not a good option for someone who doesn't have much experience doing engine swaps. They will physically bolt in an E or B body engine bay but that's about the only thing 'easy' about them. You can't run power steering (not enough room for the bigger PS steering gear) and you MIGHT be able to run power brakes. Headers to fit that swap are pretty much non-existant, leaving you with either having some custom made or running the factory exhaust manifolds. They also weigh about 100 lbs. more than a 426 Hemi so your handling can be affected by the extra weight.

I've done this swap and eventually pulled the 392 out and swapped in a Gen III 5.7 Hemi (see my avatar) and sold the 392 to a buddy of mine for his Dodge street rod. If anyone really wants to do a Chrysler Hemi swap I can give them a LOT of pointers and tips, but it's not a swap that i recommend.

Ele115

Reaction score
You'd learn a lot by building a Hemi: The intracacies of valvetrain setup, the unique (for the time) torque sequencing on the crank, how to install head fasteners from inside the lifter valley, and who makes the best-tasting ramen.

If you want an engine to wow people when you open the hood, a 426 Hemi simply cannot be beat. If you want to be the fast guy on your block, you're much better off building a 440. Hemis haven't been the fast way home for a long, long time. The horsepower-to-dollar ratio is abysmal, but most people still flip out when they see one. In fact, all my non-Mopar friends are convinced that owning one simply has to be my ultimate dream: "How can it not be?" Easily! I'm an enthusiast rather than a collector, I don't care what people think of my cars, and there's nowhere near enough bang for the buck.

We all have our own dreams. Chase yours regardless of anyone's opinion.

This is very well stated, and most people don't get it. Unless you are running a very high dollar racing team or stumbled upon a super deal on a numbers car for a real bargain, there is no way to justify the 426 for anything other than to impress a few guys here and there. For a father and son build, do a chevy 350. If you break anything, parts are very affordable and you won't wait months. If you want to do some good old fashioned street fun, a 383 or 440 gets you some good thrills for the buck. Getting into a Hemi can cost you almost as much as getting into slum real estate, possibly more if you have never dealt with them.

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
If you’re hell bent on running a NA motor, you really can’t beat a Hemi. With the right builder, you can be cruising around on pump gas, making 800 HP. When it comes time to pop the hood, folks are going to crowd around, pushing past the twin-turbo cars. Just about all modern Top Fuel cars are based on the Hemi. 50 years of racing history is buried in that Gen 2 Hemi.

Ele115

Reaction score
Hemi's are a corked up race engine. If you let them breathe and rev, they race. People expect them in an old MoPar. I wouldn't do a father son project on this one though. If you screw up a head or something it's gonna hurt. You can buy a good engine for what valve covers and an intake will cost you. I like them, but I have seen other people get hurt. I have got hurt. I blew them up. Now, they are more or less trailer queens

Back