• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Want to build a 426 hemi

Cudachuck

Reaction score
Understandable. When you purchase your Hemi parts, you’ll need to measure the heads, block, crank, etc. in order to determine the sizes. Are they stock, machined oversize, etc.? if you purchase all brand new parts, then you may be able to avoid a machine shop. If you’re your mixing and matching used parts, the rotating assembly will need to be balanced in a shop. Finding unmolested and virgin Gen 2 parts will be challenging and expensive. Conclusion: Unless you’re buying brand new parts, a trip to the machine would be advisable.

If you buy a new block, new heads, etc. then yes you probably can avoid a machine shop so long as the block has cam bearings in it unless you want to buy the tool to install the cam bearings.

Forgive me if I am off base here but it doesn't seem like you have a lot of experience in this area and building a Hemi or really any engine isn't usually something you want to jump right into without some experience or assistance generally. Its not rocket science but it isn't simple either. Do it wrong and you can destroy the engine within minutes or even seconds on start up. Going the route you are contemplating without anything to look at or compare to will be at best a challenge.

I'd say that building a car overall has enough twists and turns to keep most very busy for a long time and while "building the engine with your son" is admirable it might be a bridge too far. I am all about "DIY" but sometimes you have to know your limitations, that said if you are willing to spend the money, buy the tools, learn what you need to know, then go for it.
I was talking to someone at for hemis only and they said they have a package where they send all the parts and i would put it together. Almost like a 25k lego set. With that being said you are right i dont have any experience with a hemi. I have done some engine stuff before but it has been a while...

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Doing your own build may be what you wanted to do with your son but, as others have said, it is less costly to buy a complete engine from a competent builder.
Here are two sources with pricing that varies depending on what combo you want. Definitely north of $20k for a 426 CID.

70chall440

Reaction score
I don't have dog in the fight but Arruzza sure has a crappy website. They used to make conversion mounts but I guess they don't anymore.

Speaking of that, putting a G2 426 into a car that didn't come with it is not just a bolt in issue, the 426 used a different K frame and mounts so you will have to deal with that. Not impossible, lots have done it and there are mounts on the market as well as a company that will convert your K frame, but like all things "Hemi" its not cheap.

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
I don't have dog in the fight but Arruzza sure has a crappy website. They used to make conversion mounts but I guess they don't anymore.

Speaking of that, putting a G2 426 into a car that didn't come with it is not just a bolt in issue, the 426 used a different K frame and mounts so you will have to deal with that. Not impossible, lots have done it and there are mounts on the market as well as a company that will convert your K frame, but like all things "Hemi" its not cheap.
I believe that he’s a one-man-show and old-school. So, the website may not accurately portray him in the best way.

NoCar340

Reaction score
You'd learn a lot by building a Hemi: The intracacies of valvetrain setup, the unique (for the time) torque sequencing on the crank, how to install head fasteners from inside the lifter valley, and who makes the best-tasting ramen.

If you want an engine to wow people when you open the hood, a 426 Hemi simply cannot be beat. If you want to be the fast guy on your block, you're much better off building a 440. Hemis haven't been the fast way home for a long, long time. The horsepower-to-dollar ratio is abysmal, but most people still flip out when they see one. In fact, all my non-Mopar friends are convinced that owning one simply has to be my ultimate dream: "How can it not be?" Easily! I'm an enthusiast rather than a collector, I don't care what people think of my cars, and there's nowhere near enough bang for the buck.

We all have our own dreams. Chase yours regardless of anyone's opinion.

70chall440

Reaction score
Yeah not much more eye popping than those big valve covers which is why I have one..

RZEJ9402.JPG

moparleo

Reaction score
OK, I'll go along with it... But really. Want to teach your son? Same basics whether you build a 318 or any other engine. Same tools, more expensive parts. Get yourself a Factory Service Manual for the year/type of engine you are working on and read it.
Each section will go over specifications, things to check, how to check them and what tools you will need. Better to learn on a $500.,. junk yard motor and make a mistake , than on a $30k Hemi.
But no person who is really interested in parts compatibility would try to do everything at home, especially if you have limited engine building experience.
These are not pre-fitted parts kits or Legos that just fit together. Why do you think machine shops exist ?

Cudachuck

Reaction score
OK, I'll go along with it... But really. Want to teach your son? Same basics whether you build a 318 or any other engine. Same tools, more expensive parts. Get yourself a Factory Service Manual for the year/type of engine you are working on and read it.
Each section will go over specifications, things to check, how to check them and what tools you will need. Better to learn on a $500.,. junk yard motor and make a mistake , than on a $30k Hemi.
But no person who is really interested in parts compatibility would try to do everything at home, especially if you have limited engine building experience.
These are not pre-fitted parts kits or Legos that just fit together. Why do you think machine shops exist ?
I do have a couple of 383 in the garage i was going to learn on. It is my dream to have a 71 hemi cuda.

Cudachuck

Reaction score
If you buy a new block, new heads, etc. then yes you probably can avoid a machine shop so long as the block has cam bearings in it unless you want to buy the tool to install the cam bearings.

Forgive me if I am off base here but it doesn't seem like you have a lot of experience in this area and building a Hemi or really any engine isn't usually something you want to jump right into without some experience or assistance generally. Its not rocket science but it isn't simple either. Do it wrong and you can destroy the engine within minutes or even seconds on start up. Going the route you are contemplating without anything to look at or compare to will be at best a challenge.

I'd say that building a car overall has enough twists and turns to keep most very busy for a long time and while "building the engine with your son" is admirable it might be a bridge too far. I am all about "DIY" but sometimes you have to know your limitations, that said if you are willing to spend the money, buy the tools, learn what you need to know, then go for it.
From other peoples comments I might have to go with a complete engine.. I have a couple of 383 at the house i can learn on and teach him at the same time for cheaper

Cudachuck

Reaction score
You'd learn a lot by building a Hemi: The intracacies of valvetrain setup, the unique (for the time) torque sequencing on the crank, how to install head fasteners from inside the lifter valley, and who makes the best-tasting ramen.

If you want an engine to wow people when you open the hood, a 426 Hemi simply cannot be beat. If you want to be the fast guy on your block, you're much better off building a 440. Hemis haven't been the fast way home for a long, long time. The horsepower-to-dollar ratio is abysmal, but most people still flip out when they see one. In fact, all my non-Mopar friends are convinced that owning one simply has to be my ultimate dream: "How can it not be?" Easily! I'm an enthusiast rather than a collector, I don't care what people think of my cars, and there's nowhere near enough bang for the buck.

We all have our own dreams. Chase yours regardless of anyone's opinion.
I'll be putting a hemi in my cuda but it sounds like I will/should practice and learn with my son on the 383 i have at the house already

Bobby Sixkiller

Reaction score
I want to build a 426 hemi too but man they are so crazy expensive. Have you thought about an early hemi. 392 or a 354.

Back