• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

water pump housing question

challengingjab

Reaction score
can anyone tell me if there is a problem in changing a 440 water pump housing from a driver side lower hose housing to a passenger side lower hose housing. I thought I had read about a problem with the timing tab not being visable for timing purpouses on an earlier post but could not find that thread now. I need to change mine because I just had my radiator recored to a 3 core and am installing a 440 where the 318 used to be I aready have a passenger side housing for the 440 and need to know what is next if anything else has to be done to allow for timing. I already know about the motor mounts and suspension differences but this something I didn't know about.Any help will be appreciated.

thanks challengingjab

bad440

Reaction score
Switched to passenger side housing on my Challenger with no problems, was still able to time it.

Brads70

Reaction score
Mine is on the passenger side , finding a rad hose was a propblem I ended up using those flexable stainless steel hose set ups. I don't like the look of it at all but it works?

moparleo

Reaction score
The problem with having the inlet and outlet on the same side is when you use a vertical flow radiator the coolant will not flow completely thru the radiator core. It tends to flow straight down the core to the outlet hose, unlike a crossflow radiator where the coolant flows horizontaly thru the core for more heat transfer. Radiator will not be working at 100 % of its design. That is why all radiators you see on current vehicles are the crossflow type of core. It is more efficient at lowering the temp of the coolant and has more even temps thru the radiator core.

Back