• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What the performance world is becoming today

msbaugh

Reaction score
So.... lets just say I know a "friend" that put a kenne bell twin screw supercharger (only 8 psi), dynatech headers, corsa cat-back exhaust, and a custom diablo tune on his/her 2010 challenger r/t.

It never seemed to work right from the get go, it fluctuated, knocked, and had all sorts of engine lean, and thermostat trouble codes from the diablo...

Tuning these new cars is way over my head, (Ill stick with working on my 70 440 magnum). Even the guys tuning it just couldn't quite get it. Yessss, the car is an automatic I know... but still. I find it unbelievable how hard it is to mod these new generation cars!! The computers are so complex that it is getting harder and harder to do any kind of performance upgrades on these things... The same guy that tuned his/her car told them that ppl with beamers and such just get straight up turned down for performace tunes because its so damn complicated with their computers...

What ever happened to the days where horsepower simply bolted on? well those days are long gone it seems... making it harder for us guys who aren't satisfied with the horses our cars come with...

Long story short.... after all the problems couldnt be resolved, they found out that the engine was burnt up, lifters destroyed, and the whole engine needes to be replaced

Its been put back to stock and is at the local dealer now gettting worked on... I have no idea if they can even tell that it was modded, so I'm not sure if they will be replacing it or not under warrenty...
The problem is this person feels horrible for making dodge pay for something that they had no part of doing...

So... it may be the tuner that replaces the engine, given that they told the customer that everything could be done with out issues and told them it was ready to drive home when it obviously wasn't...

What a crappy situation... :-/ just thought I'd share what some of us are going through with our modern hemis.
If the 5.7 made more than just 350 horsepower maybe this wouldnt be a problem... hell chevy and ford's v6 engines have only 50 less than that now... But then again I could never buy anything but a mopar.

LXguy

Reaction score
Sounds like a fuel issue. Little bit of bad injector, kinked fuel line, weak pump (intercooler or fuel) can all cause that stuff. People always blame the computer without checking the install.

Sounds also like the tuner was in over their head. The Dodge stuff is harder to tune than Ford and Chevy.

Its really not that difficult, you just need the experience and time to learn. EFI guys can't run a carb. 6 pack? Forget about it.

Bolting a blower on is such a big deal that there are bound to be issues. Anyone tells you different is an idiot.

Good luck on the tuner doing a replacement engine.

burntorange70

Reaction score
I have hered the stock pistons in the new Hemis are not any good. Not that it had any thing to do with it. One thing I have learned from my dad and his buggy motors, LS7's. Is to find out what computer controler your tuner is used to and use that one. Most tuners are only good with one kind of controler.

Back