• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

what tire options are out there?

volcanocar

Reaction score
ive been searching for tire options, and from what I can tell 15" wheels are getting hard to find road rubber for.

I have a 15x12" wheel that I need to find a tire for.
im not much into drag racing so I don't want to run a drag radial although that would be the easiest solution.
Im looking for a tire that is kind of just a good all around tire with a decent speed rating.

I was think about hoosiers or goodyear eagles... but from what I read about them they are not a DOT approved tire. so im just not sure.

volcanocar

Reaction score
well since I couldn't get any input ive decided I will probably go with the goodyear billboards

volcanocar

Reaction score
well i should clarify a little now that i re read my post. the car is backhalfed with a narrowed dana in the rear and tubs. it was as a drag car running a 15" tall by 15" wide inch wheel with an 18" slick out back so there is tons of room.
im not restoring it, in fact i like the cage and the whole look of the car. the rear is 4 linked with coil overs and i dont want to undo all of that work if i dont have to. so my solution is to find a smaller wheel and tire that will still fill up the wheel wells.

volcanocar

Reaction score
yeah i know about those tires, my problem is i like road racing and autocross. i fear that i may have to build a new rearend to accommodate the smaller tires. its just the dana is completly built.
i liked the idea of having a huge tire in the rear but like you said there arnt very many options out there for a 15" wheel.

moparleo

Reaction score
You can't go NASCAR racing in a prostock car and vice versa, Can't really drag race with a NASCAR set up for circle track. 2 TOTALY different cars. Can't do both. Looks like you need an AAR Cuda too.

volcanocar

Reaction score
im not trying to go nascar racing.
the front suspension is bone stock aside from drag shocks, the rear is a four link with adjustable coil overs... that's far from prostock
I will handle the suspension, im just trying to figure out what my options are for wheels and tires.

moparleo

Reaction score
The point was that auto cross or road racing type cars will have all 4 tires the same size, and the suspension will be lowered, and stiff. With the narrowed, rear suspension that you have on the rear now, that isn't possible.
You know it would be a lot easier to know what you really needed if you had a picture of what you have to work with.

Last edited:

volcanocar

Reaction score
suspension wise i would only have to change the front shocks to something stiffer and adjust the rear coilovers.... im not trying to get into a debate about suspension setups because im not even to that point yet but there is no real trickery involved with this setup.
AND there are more cars out there than i can name of the top of my head that utilize a staggered front and back tire set up for road racing so i dont know where you got that from:poke:

moparleo

Reaction score
You have a narrowed rear housing. Tire stagger is used on circle tracks. If you put your front wheels on the rear right now, how far would it be from the outer fender ? The track/width of the rear axle and front axle should be close to equal.

volcanocar

Reaction score
how many pro touring cars are running a ridiculous deep dish in the rear and then are seen out on the road course and autox course? there are tons of guys, i dont see how the narrowed rear end helps or hurts me.

Joe Monaco

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install 15 in.x 10 in., 5 x 4.5 in. Bolt Circle, 5 in. Backspace Chrysler Rallyes I found from the Mopar Shop website for $181.95 each (Wheel Vintiques) with BFG Radial T/A's (275/60/15) on the rear of my stock '70 Challenger R/T. Can anyone verify that they will fit good and not rub?

71Plym

Reaction score
Joe, recommended rim width for a BFG 275/60/15 is 7.5" to 9.5", so your proposed wheel is a tad too wide. I also think that a 10" rim is too wide and 5" backspace may be too much for a stock rear. Measure your car lots before purchasing to make sure everything will fit. And measure both sides because there are are side to side differences.

moparleo

Reaction score
Yep. 8" are the ticket. This will allow the sidewalls to still flex, improving ride. The 10" will stretch the sidewalls out, causing them to be stiffer than designed resulting in a hard ride. The narrower tend to pull the outer area of the tread inwards, causing a sloppy, spongey ride. These are assuming the correct air pressure is being used. Also when using a tire oversized from stock, the proper air pressure must be recalculated. You need tyo get the axle weight to do this properly.

Back