• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

windows first or head liner?

wantonebadebody

Reaction score
Hey all, putting the car together that someone else took apart can the front and rear glass go in before head liner?
screw in clips first then glass then trim?

terrywalker

Reaction score
I would recommend putting in the front and rear windshields before the headliner only to eliminate the chance of accidentally getting the window sealant on the new headliner. The interior window moldings cover the cut ends of headliner.
Terry W.

wantonebadebody

Reaction score
I would recommend putting in the front and rear windshields before the headliner only to eliminate the chance of accidentally getting the window sealant on the new headliner. The interior window moldings cover the cut ends of headliner.
Terry W.
Thanks for your response Terry!

terrywalker

Reaction score
As far as the screws for the molding clips, I personally would put in the screws first as just touching the edge of the glass with a metal tool can break the windshield. I had to replace a new windshield I had in less than 24 hours because I hit the edge with a metal tool and cracked it. Expensive lesson. I had the glass installer put in the clips and install the moldings around 2nd new windshield. Just my lesson learned and opinion.
Terry W.

Last edited:

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Personally, I installed the vinyl top and headliner before front and rear glass. For me, it gives more accessibility around the openings without fear of damaging the glass. But, to each his own. Headliner1.jpgHeadliner2.jpgPackage tray.jpg

One of few

Reaction score
Everything about that SE is unique, once funds appear to assemble mine, I’ll be asking those same questions.

budascuda

Reaction score
As far as the screws for the molding clips, I personally would put in the screws first as just touching the edge of the class with a metal tool can break the windshield. I had to replace a new windshield I had in less than 24 hours because I hit the edge with a metal tool and cracked it. Expensive lesson. I had the class installer put in the clips and install the moldings around 2nd new windshield. Just my lesson learned and opinion.
Terry W.
An excellent tip, worth 400 bucks!
Thanks Terry

terrywalker

Reaction score

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Good point Juan V. I found I get the butyl sealant all over. If your careful, you won't get it on the new headliner.
Terry W.
I watched an install of rear glass on YouTube. The guy put the butyl strip on the body of the car and then placed the glass. The strip missed the edge of the glass and he had to massage/roll it to the edge of the glass. Would it be better to put the butyl strip on the face of the glass and then place it into the opening, ensuring it is in the right place? If you use the little suction cups for glass installation, and have two people, it should be pretty simple. Your or anyone else's thoughts?

Rapidfire

Reaction score
I watched an install of rear glass on YouTube. The guy put the butyl strip on the body of the car and then placed the glass. The strip missed the edge of the glass and he had to massage/roll it to the edge of the glass. Would it be better to put the butyl strip on the face of the glass and then place it into the opening, ensuring it is in the right place? If you use the little suction cups for glass installation, and have two people, it should be pretty simple. Your or anyone else's thought

Either way you do it the glass still needs be put in even all the way around. I make a dry run with my glass without the butyl tape. When I'm happy with the fit and placement then I make wood or rubber spacer blocks for each side of the bottom for the glass to set on and a block for one side of the glass about half way up for a spacer to keep both sides even. That way there is little room for error. Yes, I would put the tape on the glass itself.

wantonebadebody

Reaction score
Thx all for your input, I will tell installer some people suggest dr test and possibly buty tape on Window before install

budascuda

Reaction score
I watched an install of rear glass on YouTube. The guy put the butyl strip on the body of the car and then placed the glass. The strip missed the edge of the glass and he had to massage/roll it to the edge of the glass. Would it be better to put the butyl strip on the face of the glass and then place it into the opening, ensuring it is in the right place? If you use the little suction cups for glass installation, and have two people, it should be pretty simple. Your or anyone else's thoughts?
In the case of a pre formed tape or strip type sealer, i would put it on the glass, in the case of applied caulking type sealers, I have in the past, applied it to the glass AND body, that way i could make sure both surfaces got "wet" (you could also use a product that acts as a primer for better bonding/sealing, can't recall the name at the moment)

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Having done glazing for a period of time. Do it the way you feel conferrable with. I do it with less chance of error. Test fit window and use setting blocks as their called. 1/8" 1/16" and 1/4". window in temporary placement.eye ball pinch weld for placement of tape.In general 1/8" to 3/16" from edge to allow for push out.

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I don't think glass shop would use the tape because of liability issues. the tape won't hold the windshield in or occupants in an accident and air bag won't work as intended. oh yeah.if the windows are out.by all means do the top and head liner first.

Last edited:

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
I don't think glass shop would use the tape because of liability issues. the tape won't hold the windshield in or occupants in an accident and air bag won't work as intended. oh yeah.if the windows are out.by all means do the top and head liner first.

Air Bags in a '70 Challenger?? That's a new one on me, guess I didn't get that option on my car.

Back