• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Windshield Removal

NoGM4me

Reaction score
Any tips on removing windshield trim and the windshield. They are original to the car and would like to keep the glass intact.
Thanks, NoGM4me

heminut

Reaction score
Good luck with keeping the glass intact! Those things were pretty much glued in with sealer that has to be cut loose. I have seen body shop guys back in the day do it with wire attached to a couple of wooden dowels as handles, one guy inside and one outside working it all the way around the glass until it was cut loose. If it is the original windshield it is probably brittle from age, at least that's what I've been told by glass guys.

moparlee

Reaction score
Get yourself a couple of windshield trim removal tools. They have a flat end with a hook to un-clip the trim clips.
I have used the wire method on a couple of windshields with no issues.

70chall440

Reaction score
The key to removing the glass without breaking it is patience and not prying on it, even then it can be a challenge but it can be done. As mentioned, get a windshield removal kit, typically comes with a spool of wire and some handles. A long bladed device that can cut the buytl from the inside is very helpful. I have seen hot knifes used as well.

You have to resist the urge to press up/out on the glass until you have 99% of the buytl cut or released. Be cautious when using the wire to cut the buytl because its easy to grind the glass and in some cases crack it, you really have to get the angle right.

Again, it can be done it just takes time and caution.

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
If possible, leave the original windshield in. If it breaks, you have very few USA-made glass options available. Mostly Chinese junk now.

moparroy

Reaction score
I got mine out 20 years ago using a flat trim tool to release the clips and 0.23 mig wire on couple wood dowel sticks to cut through the sealant. Came out ok - no damage. And there it still sits waiting now to go back in - but yes I am paranoid of the day I need to clean off the sealant to prep it for reinstallation... very very carefully

ctaarman

Reaction score
Be sure to photograph and label the hardware that attaches the lower trim piece. Expensive to replace. Once it comes out ( no tool required) with the two lower corners then, using a plastic trim removal tool you can carefully remove the rest, of the trim by separating it from the clips. I've found the worst ones are those which were replacement windshields, where shops piled on the sealer in excess. A telltale sign is heavy scratches on the lower trim piece because the windshield had too much sealer applied underneath.

AUSTA

Reaction score
The hot knife works well i heat a 3 inch paint scrapper it push in from the interior do that all the way around & the window pushes out easily do not force it will crack the glass when the blade is hot push in then pull out do not leave in & attempt to push around the glass

flohemi

Reaction score
I went to Harbor freight tools and purchased a side cutting saw and took my time and was able to cut all the glue and get the windshield out in one piece.

Back