• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

WW2 Jeep restoration

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Wanted to share a few pics of a veterans jeep that we restored back to new for him. He passed away last year and was able to ride in it one last time. It’s a 1942 Ford gpw.

22B3BA93-AF36-472D-8142-5F0546A02643.jpeg

A60C39DC-97B1-4753-9EA8-2C46210C5748.jpeg

4B9B1D85-48EC-4687-BC1C-5771563268E0.jpeg

budascuda

Reaction score
Nice job, looks nimble again.
If they made these things today, they would still sell. (With Power steering tho)
Different service# on the hood, what's the story behind that?

Adam

Reaction score
Not to hi-jack this thread but at the SEMA show I saw some Mahindra Jeeps. One had no body on it but was otherwise complete. It had a neat little diesel 4 cyl. I think the grill is ugly...and the body looks like an M38, but I would love to put a repro Jeep MB/Ford GPW body on a Mahindra chassis (they are built in Michigan). I asked if they sell it without the body and they said “not yet, but planning to.” These are not street legal and are sold as ATVs... about $20k if you want locking diffs, etc. For that much I would rather have a real MB/GPW. Maybe my next project will be a Jeep.

Mahindra has been making Jeeps, under license, continuously since WW2, or so I read...
ROXOR Off Road

Last edited:

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Looks awesome! Glad the ole guy got a chance to ride in one again after so many years. Thank you veterans!

I too was wondering why all the number changes?

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Ok Budascuda and Cuda Hunter nice catch! Here's the story. We were stripping the paint off the hood and the orginal layer revealed this number and was in the early style font. So we put it back the same way after careful measurements. Not sure why the numbers were different but these old jeeps have been around. I have a couple more pics knee deep in the resto if you want I will post them!?

budascuda

Reaction score
Was a good unit, wasn't all banged up or rusted out and also an Interesting termination for the rear end of the chassis, I guess a boat tail type frame could probably handle more abuse.
This thing was made like a tractor, simple and rugged, it will be operational even after ww3.
Thanks for the pics, and as cuda hunter said, it was great that you could restore it in time so the owner could have his wish and ride it one more time.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
That is in great shape! a lot nicer than the few I've seen restored around here.
That's super cool to keep the original font. I'm sure the military changes designations upon locations and deployments.

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Tried to keep it as orginal as possible. Still had its original brass data plates on the glove box door. It took two winters to complete, but was worth it!

ctaarman

Reaction score
Not to hi-jack this thread but at the SEMA show I saw some Mahindra Jeeps. One had no body on it but was otherwise complete. It had a neat little diesel 4 cyl. I think the grill is ugly...and the body looks like an M38, but I would love to put a repro Jeep MB/Ford GPW body on a Mahindra chassis (they are built in Michigan). I asked if they sell it without the body and they said “not yet, but planning to.” These are not street legal and are sold as ATVs... about $20k if you want locking diffs, etc. For that much I would rather have a real MB/GPW. Maybe my next project will be a Jeep.

Mahindra has been making Jeeps, under license, continuously since WW2, or so I read...
ROXOR Off Road
Mahindra only had license to make these as road legal vehicles outside of the US. A coupla years ago they brazenly starting selling them in US and got sued by FCA. So they are now sold for off road use only in US and can't be legally titled/registered as a motor vehicle. If I've got any of my facts wrong, others will likely gently come to my rescue!

budascuda

Reaction score
"can't be legally titled/registered as a motor vehicle"
That's funny because that's exactly what it is! A motor vehicle.
The big 3 are not gonna allow an inexpensive and practical concept to take a foothold with the consumer, they keep telling people that " you like blind spot cameras, hand stitched leather interior, seat warmers"....... If I wanted to get pampered like that I would go to a day spa! Quit frankly, I get nervous when something under me gets warm.
Many years ago, a buddy brought a brand new pick-up to work, not gonna say what make so the Ford people here don't get upset, Lol, but he paid something like $35k for it back then. I am still driving my $400 dodge van and he has gone through an engine rebuilt(which they had to remove the cab for it) and a Toyota (which gradually disappeared due to rust) and now a Tesla which is charging all the time.
If you don't want to get stranded, you gotta have a basic and rugged vehicle, w/o any electronics, the Jeep above will do nicely.,thank you.

Back