• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

8 3/4 slip diff

JohnP

Reaction score
Good Day
I was informed that it is not advisable to polish the teeth of my crown and pinion on my Auburn 8 3/4 limited slip diff where there is light wear marks from lack of oil. I am replacing all the bearings and seals on the diff and half shafts to be safe. I was told to light sand blast them both which does not make sense to me.

Please give me your input.

Adam

Reaction score
I think it would be difficult to polish the surfaces of the ring and pinion gears evenly/equally.
I have never heard of sandblasting the gears... I think all that would accomplish would be to rough up the surface very slightly, and hide the wear marks. It might work, but its a gamble. If you don’t want to do it again now would be the time to change gears. You did not say what ratio you have, but if you ever wanted to change, this is your opportunity.

gzig5

Reaction score
They do polish gears, but I don't know what the process is. Sandblasting sounds a bit harsh, maybe glass bead blast? The rougher surface may allow it to carry more oil?

Reaction score
They polish NEW gears. JohnP you have damaged gears. Replace them. You are replacing other things “to be safe”. Do you want to build a noisy rear end?

Last edited:

JohnP

Reaction score
Thank you for all the input. I was told that it does reduce the friction but then again I dont know. The cones are good with no wear. Looking at the money I have spent on the cuda the correct thing to do is fit new crown and pinion. I have been looking at various diffs and the Torsen diff has good write ups.

I believe the correct way is to replace for sound of mind. It will not hurt to fit all the bearings which I have, assemble and test run whilst I wait for the new one.

Thanks again

Back