• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

mopar 400 valve springs

bullet18

Reaction score
i just got my 400 based 512 stroker back and its got a .510 lift cam in it. what valve springs should i go for. idont want to go all out since im upgrading to indy ez 1s next summer.

DrEamer

Reaction score
What brand of cam are you running? Most manufactures have a spring recommendation for the model of cam chosen. If you are switching heads next year, you can most likely change them over to the new heads when you get them.

gzig5

Reaction score
What would be "going all out"? Put the spring in that the cam grinder recommends. Springs are pretty cheap compared to other components and choosing the wrong ones significantly increases the possibility of valve train failure. Which isn't cheap.

bullet18

Reaction score
What would be "going all out"? Put the spring in that the cam grinder recommends. Springs are pretty cheap compared to other components and choosing the wrong ones significantly increases the possibility of valve train failure. Which isn't cheap.
Going all out would be like race spec stuff or double springs. i ordered what they recommended for my cam.

gzig5

Reaction score
OK, you should be good then. I'm not an expert but my understanding is for the most part, the the cam lobe and max RPM range is going to determine how much spring you need. If it has a real aggressive lobe, you need more spring. If you are going to spin it to 7000-8000 rpm you need more spring than if 5000 was the limit. Single, double, triple really get down to what the cam needs on the seat and at max lift to control the valve correctly at the rpm required.

bullet18

Reaction score
OK, you should be good then. I'm not an expert but my understanding is for the most part, the the cam lobe and max RPM range is going to determine how much spring you need. If it has a real aggressive lobe, you need more spring. If you are going to spin it to 7000-8000 rpm you need more spring than if 5000 was the limit. Single, double, triple really get down to what the cam needs on the seat and at max lift to control the valve correctly at the rpm required.
With these heads theres no real point in spinning it past 5500. The indys come with a spring kit that you choose based on your cam specs. I hope to get it to like 6500-6700 with thoses heads but the piston speed will be up there so i dont know.

Back