• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Pro forged 'Tall' ball joints

340challconvert

Reaction score
I would be curious too about the advantages of a taller ball joint?
Dino2 (1).gif

340challconvert

Reaction score
Automotive Aftermarket Catalog - MyCarParts

Maybe the link didn't work....it's changes the neg camber like the tubular upper A frames would

The link was good, thanks.
I also wanted to see some opinions on those ball joints you posted
I considered the off set UCA bushing to improve alignment or the use of the adjustable tubular units.
Went with the offset bushings when I rebuilt the front suspension.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Yes, they worked out great. Offset the UCA and allowed more positive camber adjustment
I picked up the same Moog offset bushing from Mancini

Moog Offset Front Control Arm Bushings
The original link was dead when I checked it...that's why I re-attached it.

I'm thinking now that you reminded me of the offset bushing that it would be another way of accomplishing the same thing. I don't think the GM set up allows for them. Are you referring to the moog's...???

340challconvert

Reaction score
The original bushings are concentric. (can be installed without attention to orientation).The "offset bushings" need to be installed in such a way as to give greater adjustment movement in the direction needed.
The bushings, once installed, cannot easily be manipulated to change their orientation unless you press them out and re-install. So correct orientation at install is critical. Once they are installed, all fine tuning is done with the cams.
These bushings were originally designed to provide additional camber to cars that were damaged or rotten. By installing them the opposite of the factory instructions, you can achieve more caster, which is a bigger influence on the feel of the car. I was told to follow mid 2000's Mustang alignment specs with these bushings.
I had saved this diagram as a reference
index.php?PHPSESSID=r3hh3qls742bvkr6rarbrpqp07&action=dlattach;topic=117214.jpg

Last edited:

Steve340

Reaction score
I would also not be to sure about the taller ball joint.
I read a tech article that suggested putting washers between the spindle and the ball joint/steering arm.
All it does is lengthen the bottom arm a bit. I did it and it seems to work well.
This mod would tend to increase negative camber.
If you read the Moog spec sheet the way they set the bushes it would only effect caster.

Steve340

Reaction score
If I am understanding your question correctly? You use 4 washers or 2 per side.
The tech article recommends using thick washers 1/8 inch thick.
They must be the same thickness in all 4 positions.

i_taz

Reaction score
Not exactly... In the B-body blog link it's mentioned you can use 1. I'm guessing the rear one to offset the A-arm. That way it's similar to the way Hotchkis and others build their A frames...longer sections on the rear arm...???

Steve340

Reaction score
Do you want to affect caster or camber? More negative camber is what most people want.
You could not use only one washer were I am talking about the component would not bolt up "square" with only one washer under the bolt on one side.

12sandwich

Reaction score
I would also not be to sure about the taller ball joint.
I read a tech article that suggested putting washers between the spindle and the ball joint/steering arm.
All it does is lengthen the bottom arm a bit. I did it and it seems to work well.
This mod would tend to increase negative camber.
If you read the Moog spec sheet the way they set the bushes it would only effect caster.
So your talking about putting washers between the lower ball joint and spindle?

12sandwich

Reaction score
I always figured that area to be critical to the strength of the lower ball joint.
I’ve never seen one broke in that area, so probably not really a weak area.
I guess it’s a low buck solution for to much positive camber. Cool

Back