• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Baracuda Restomod Begins

SFEbody

Reaction score
Hello folks, so this is my second restoration project I will be documenting on here. I bought a 1970 Baracuda this week from a gentleman that got over his skies in this project and I will take it from here. Pretty basic Baracuda was 318 auto, will now be a Gen III Hemi- 5 speed manual when complete.

Was FE5 but want to go to B7 Jamaican Blue with black billboards. That may change down the road but for now, thats the plan. I should get it delivered in a week or so but here is what I am starting with. All new AMD metal put in. I have one question for subject matter experts. Both the Cowl and radiator support have been replaced but the number sections were saved.

Would you folks recommend cutting the numbers out and re-welding them in to the new panels? or not?

As always, thanks for the support.

Brian

IMG_3365.jpeg

IMG_3364.jpeg

IMG_3362.jpeg

IMG_3361.jpeg

123_1.jpeg

70chall440

Reaction score
Since this is not a numbers matching restoration personally I would cut out the numbers from the original sheet metal and safeguard it rather than try and weld it into brand new AMD sheet metal unless you feel that you can weld them in place and make it look flawless. My point is that if it doesn't look as though it wasn't done (meaning that a person will not be able to tell it has been welded in) it will be a point of discussion down the road and since it isn't a high end restoration, it doesn't matter but if you have the numbers you are good.

SFEbody

Reaction score
thanks,,, I think keeping them is he answer as you mention. It will be a high end build, but since its such a basic model, I will just keep the numbers to show if I ever sell it

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
Since this is not a numbers matching restoration personally I would cut out the numbers from the original sheet metal and safeguard it rather than try and weld it into brand new AMD sheet metal unless you feel that you can weld them in place and make it look flawless. My point is that if it doesn't look as though it wasn't done (meaning that a person will not be able to tell it has been welded in) it will be a point of discussion down the road and since it isn't a high end restoration, it doesn't matter but if you have the numbers you are good.
So, it comes down to the welds looking flawless?

70chall440

Reaction score
So, it comes down to the welds looking flawless?

He has the car, he has the numbers on the bad cowl. If the area with the numbers is welded into the new cowl and done poorly it is going to look like crap and cause someone to question it; not that he can't answer the question honestly but it is just something that isn't necessary. Having those numbers on the cowl and radiator support are necessary for a high dollar car but I don't think I would spend the time putting them onto a restomod but I might just depends on the timing and how I felt about it at the time.

gs73rallye

Reaction score
If it was my car, and not a numbers matching concourse restoration, I would stamp the numbers into the new metal, and save the originals. As long as you possess the original pieces, it's not fraudulent.

SFEbody

Reaction score
Ok She is on the way home to Cali.....Tuesday should be in my garage and then the fun begins.

Attachments

• BV.JPG
    BV.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 275
  • FV.JPG
    FV.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 263
  • trailer.JPG
    trailer.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 262

fasjac

Reaction score
I’d weld em in since you have em and no harm for the new AMD parts. If you’re confident. JMO
Look forward to seeing the progress.

SFEbody

Reaction score
Well my new baby is safe at home in Cali.... now the hard work begins. I am going to need doors if anyone out there has a nice set?

Attachments

• IMG_3435.jpeg
    IMG_3435.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 289
  • IMG_3434.jpeg
    IMG_3434.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 293
  • IMG_3432.jpeg
    IMG_3432.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 273
  • IMG_3433.jpeg
    IMG_3433.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 281
  • IMG_3431.jpeg
    IMG_3431.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 296

R4Sedan

Reaction score
Yep, weld those numbers on there and mount that fender tag where it belongs.
You still have your Challenger?

SFEbody

Reaction score
R4, I agree since it is just the cowl, the Radiator support still has numbers. No, regretibly i sold the Challenger to a gent in Washington st.

SFEbody

Reaction score
Got the Cuda's 2018 5.7 HEMI heart beat 29K miles and 5 Speed AT delivered to the house today. Can't wait to test fit it into the car before I start on the body work, metal work is moving forward.
Have to cut the Trans tunnel as previous owner just welded in a new 4 Speed tunnel...... ( hope I can save it )
i need to gather more information for suspension upgrades? Recommendations for this restomod?
I Have the original 8 3/4 diff, as I did not plan on replacing so I ask, feedback how will hold up under a 5.7 ?

IMG_3464.jpeg

Last edited:
Back