• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Want to build a 426 hemi

Cudachuck

Reaction score
This might sound crazy but i want to build a 426 hemi for my cuda..
The crazy thing is i have never built one before. Is it possible to do without bringing it to a machine shop? Is there special tools i would need?

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
How is it crazy? It’s been done thousands of times. First of all, you may want to put together a budget. Are you prepared to spend $20-25k for the engine and maybe another $5K - $10k for a transmission, driveshaft, Dana 60 and front suspension mods to complete the entire setup?

ga66mopar

Reaction score
Building a hemi isn't too bad if you already have a block, set of heads and rocker stands.

Cudachuck

Reaction score
How is it crazy? It’s been done thousands of times. First of all, you may want to put together a budget. Are you prepared to spend $20-25k for the engine and maybe another $5K - $10k for a transmission, driveshaft, Dana 60 and front suspension mods to complete the entire setup?
It looks like i can get the block for 5k and heads for 3k. Do you think it will cost 15k more to finish the engine?

Cudachuck

Reaction score
Would i need to have a machine shop do any of the work or could someone do it all in there garage? And are there any special tool i would need to have? Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Assembly is straight forward , you will need micrometers to check all of the sizes & clearances if you are not taking it to a machine shop . You also need a good torque wrench .
IMO you need to have things checked by a machine shop , if the block is used the main & aligment & bores need to be corrected as well as having the block cleaned , there is no way to bore a block a t home without $40k in machines !
I guess it depend how complete the block & heads are but I would say yes it will cost $15 k more , the rockers are $160 each x 16 + the 4 shafts , pedestals , valves , springs & retainers ..... I figured about 8K to build the heads in parts alone
The block will need crank , rods , pistons , rings , brgs , timing chain , cam & lifters & oil pump can easily be another 4K + . I would consider a stroker if you are buying all new anyway , it is easy to hit 500 + ci .
Now you need all the tin , valve covers & spark plug tubes , timing cover , oil pan & pickup , water pump & pullies .
You still need intake & carb / carbs / EFI + dist & wires .

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
It looks like i can get the block for 5k and heads for 3k. Do you think it will cost 15k more to finish the engine?
It all depends. What is the condition of the block & heads? If you’re budgeting for a Hemi, always expect to be on the high side. In general, a Hemi build isn’t for the faint of heart.

70chall440

Reaction score
Unless you fall into a smoking deal on a usable block, building a 426 Hemi the "Johnny Cash" method (one part at a time) will not save you any money, in fact just the opposite meaning by the end you will be far deeper into it than had you just bought a complete engine. That said there are a couple of advantages; first is that you do not have to lay out all the cash on the front end, second is that you can choose the parts you really want to use and third is that you can make the engine the way you want (stock, stroker, etc.).

You need to know that words "hemi" and "cheap" are never spoken together. Also there is tons of used stuff out there especially from race cars much of which is trash and unusable. Additionally, Mopar made a 426 Wedge which is not a Hemi and more than one new Mopar fan has been sucked into a deal on a "426" only to find out it is not a Hemi.

G2 hemi stuff (426) is unique to it in most cases (crank, heads, valve covers, intake, etc.) but do share some parts from the other big blocks. You need to do a lot of research prior to going down this road, read books, search the internet, ask questions on the forums such as here.

Finding a usable 426 Hemi block is not going to be cheap because those who love and want them snatch them up quickly. Any factory 426 Hemi block (as in one that came in a production car) is highly desirable typically by restorers or people who have factory Hemi cars.

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
I’d watch the latest videos from Tony about a Hemi GTX. It touches on the things that can go wrong:

Cudachuck

Reaction score
Unless you fall into a smoking deal on a usable block, building a 426 Hemi the "Johnny Cash" method (one part at a time) will not save you any money, in fact just the opposite meaning by the end you will be far deeper into it than had you just bought a complete engine. That said there are a couple of advantages; first is that you do not have to lay out all the cash on the front end, second is that you can choose the parts you really want to use and third is that you can make the engine the way you want (stock, stroker, etc.).

You need to know that words "hemi" and "cheap" are never spoken together. Also there is tons of used stuff out there especially from race cars much of which is trash and unusable. Additionally, Mopar made a 426 Wedge which is not a Hemi and more than one new Mopar fan has been sucked into a deal on a "426" only to find out it is not a Hemi.

G2 hemi stuff (426) is unique to it in most cases (crank, heads, valve covers, intake, etc.) but do share some parts from the other big blocks. You need to do a lot of research prior to going down this road, read books, search the internet, ask questions on the forums such as here.

Finding a usable 426 Hemi block is not going to be cheap because those who love and want them snatch them up quickly. Any factory 426 Hemi block (as in one that came in a production car) is highly desirable typically by restorers or people who have factory Hemi cars.
I was hopimg to go the gen 2 route... And piece it together over time... If i went this route would i still need to have the block or heads machined?

ga66mopar

Reaction score
I added every part and machine work needed for a hemi 10 years ago and I came up with 20k. That was using a $3200 Mopar performance block.

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
I was hopimg to go the gen 2 route... And piece it together over time... If i went this route would i still need to have the block or heads machined?
It all depends on what you purchase. There are a lot of junk Hemi parts out there. Why do you want to avoid a machine shop? Especially with an expensive Hemi build.

Cudachuck

Reaction score
It all depends on what you purchase. There are a lot of junk Hemi parts out there. Why do you want to avoid a machine shop? Especially with an expensive Hemi build.
It's not that i want to avoid a shop ... I just thought it would be fun to do it with my son

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
It's not that i want to avoid a shop ... I just thought it would be fun to do it with my son
Understandable. When you purchase your Hemi parts, you’ll need to measure the heads, block, crank, etc. in order to determine the sizes. Are they stock, machined oversize, etc.? if you purchase all brand new parts, then you may be able to avoid a machine shop. If you’re your mixing and matching used parts, the rotating assembly will need to be balanced in a shop. Finding unmolested and virgin Gen 2 parts will be challenging and expensive. Conclusion: Unless you’re buying brand new parts, a trip to the machine would be advisable.

70chall440

Reaction score
If you buy a new block, new heads, etc. then yes you probably can avoid a machine shop so long as the block has cam bearings in it unless you want to buy the tool to install the cam bearings.

Forgive me if I am off base here but it doesn't seem like you have a lot of experience in this area and building a Hemi or really any engine isn't usually something you want to jump right into without some experience or assistance generally. Its not rocket science but it isn't simple either. Do it wrong and you can destroy the engine within minutes or even seconds on start up. Going the route you are contemplating without anything to look at or compare to will be at best a challenge.

I'd say that building a car overall has enough twists and turns to keep most very busy for a long time and while "building the engine with your son" is admirable it might be a bridge too far. I am all about "DIY" but sometimes you have to know your limitations, that said if you are willing to spend the money, buy the tools, learn what you need to know, then go for it.

Back