• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Starting my 408 Stroker build...

Jetsurgeon

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for any tips you may have as I begin my engine rebuild. 72 Challenger Top Banana Rallye 4 speed. California car, factory ordered without the vinyl top :)
The block was replaced at some point with a 77 vintage 360. The block tested good and has standard bores. Ted at Opel Engineering is prepping the block for me to put a 408 stroker kit into it with the help of the team at Hughes Engines. Since I'm restoring the car I figure I may as well go with fuel injection (Holley Sniper?). With Dave Hughes' help I decided on his high compression stroker kit. He says that with his "Super Prep" CNC porting and combustion chamber work he is going to do to the Edelbrock RPM aluminum heads I just sent him we should be at about 11:1 for compression ratio, and with a mild cam will probably be in the 525 HP range, which is just about where I want to be I think for a "Hot" street car (was wanting it to be close in feel to my 2016 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Shaker car). As mentioned previously I plan on putting the Holley Sniper EFI (or similar) on this car, and I actually have a Holley Strip Dominator manifold laying around and wondering if that will do, or should I get the Super Victor?? They "look" very similar?...Any thoughts on that or anything else would be appreciated!

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I'll be following along, been looking do build a 408 for some time now. We have some very knowledgable members here who will steer you in the right direction.

autoxcuda

Reaction score
choose the intake your engine builder suggests.

I’m interested in 11:1 compression with pump 91 octane gas.

But to get 525 hp, it’s got to have a pretty healthy cam and that will bleed some compression down.

Has Opel already built your same combo before with EFI ?

70chall440

Reaction score
Personally I think that compression is going to be an issue due to the quality of fuel available. In other words, that CR might take some drivability away, but then again with the aluminum heads perhaps not. I usually try and stay around 10:1 or so for anything I intend to actually use. But, since you are working with professionals, they definitely know what they are doing so it should be good.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum .
with EFI the intake is far less critical although multiport injection is far better than throttle body injection so with T body injection a wet intake the intake is still more critical .

Last edited:

sir_veza

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for any tips you may have as I begin my engine rebuild. 72 Challenger Top Banana Rallye 4 speed. California car, factory ordered without the vinyl top :)
The block was replaced at some point with a 77 vintage 360. The block tested good and has standard bores. Ted at Opel Engineering is prepping the block for me to put a 408 stroker kit into it with the help of the team at Hughes Engines. Since I'm restoring the car I figure I may as well go with fuel injection (Holley Sniper?). With Dave Hughes' help I decided on his high compression stroker kit. He says that with his "Super Prep" CNC porting and combustion chamber work he is going to do to the Edelbrock RPM aluminum heads I just sent him we should be at about 11:1 for compression ratio, and with a mild cam will probably be in the 525 HP range, which is just about where I want to be I think for a "Hot" street car (was wanting it to be close in feel to my 2016 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Shaker car). As mentioned previously I plan on putting the Holley Sniper EFI (or similar) on this car, and I actually have a Holley Strip Dominator manifold laying around and wondering if that will do, or should I get the Super Victor?? They "look" very similar?...Any thoughts on that or anything else would be appreciated!
Welcome from Ontario, Canada. My Challenger also has a 408 stroked motor, (9:5:1 compression with a slightly aggressive flat tappet cam), but with a Holley 750 4 barrel. 94 octane gas is available in Canada but has 10% ethanol. For the last few years I've been using Klotz (KL-628) Octane Boost @ 1 fluid oz per gallon on every tank. Not cheap but it pulls out the moisture from the fuel and helps the motor deliver on it's potential...

sir_veza

Reaction score
Welcome from Ontario, Canada. My Challenger also has a 408 stroked motor, (9:5:1 compression with a slightly aggressive flat tappet cam), but with a Holley 750 4 barrel. 94 octane gas is available in Canada but has 10% ethanol. For the last few years I've been using Klotz (KL-628) Octane Boost @ 1 fluid oz per gallon on every tank. Not cheap but it pulls out the moisture from the fuel and helps the motor deliver on it's potential...
Sorry meant to add I'm getting 425 HP & 504 lbs torque to the wheels.

SDChallenger

Reaction score
Thought you might like some encouragement in your project. Numbers matching 72 Challenger Rallye 4-spd. Added stroker kit, 6-pack w hood, Edelbrock RPM heads, mild cam, Firm Feel steering rebuild, TTi headers, etc.. Gets where I am going pretty fast. Good luck.

Attachments

• Challenger - Arrival in Colorado.jpg
    Challenger - Arrival in Colorado.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 182

autoxcuda

Reaction score
Sorry meant to add I'm getting 425 HP & 504 lbs torque to the wheels.

Still impressive.

What cam p/n are you running?

Have you tried running it on straight 91 octane ?

What was the estimate of HP/TQ at the motor without drivetrain losses?

sir_veza

Reaction score
The specs on the cam are
duration at .050", lift 239 intake & 246 exhaust
lift .484" intake & .484" exhaust
lobe separation is 108

Yes I've tried 91 octane with and without Klotz but there's a slight ping (and knock) especially without the octane boost

I haven't had the motor dyno'd outside the car

autoxcuda

Reaction score
The specs on the cam are
duration at .050", lift 239 intake & 246 exhaust
lift .484" intake & .484" exhaust
lobe separation is 108

Yes I've tried 91 octane with and without Klotz but there's a slight ping (and knock) especially without the octane boost

I haven't had the motor dyno'd outside the car

Some wheel dyno will give a customer a conversion of what they think the hp/to is at the motor.

Just wondered if they gave that number or factor to you.

sir_veza

Reaction score
Some wheel dyno will give a customer a conversion of what they think the hp/to is at the motor.

Just wondered if they gave that number or factor to you.
My results are SAE numbers - weather corrected...not seeing an STD number on the print out if that's what you are referring to...BTW HP & torque peaked at 5200

340challconvert

Reaction score
Jetsurgeon
:welcome:
to FEBO from New Jersey
I am looking forward to following your engine stroker build.
I have a 360 magnum block ATK 408 stroker engine I have in storage that I bought through Summit awhile back. I liked this engine because of the internal engine balance and it came all redone with forged connecting rods and hypereutictic pistons with a 23.5 cc dish. With an approximate 65 cc's heads; it should give me about a 9.5 compression ratio. I picked up the short block for under $2700.
I will have to use magnum heads and lifters with the oiling going through the pushrods along with other magnum components.
You have an earlier 360 block; you have the options of using more A block components including a great selection of intakes.
As stated prior be careful with that compression ratio. Modern upgraded engines obtain great horsepower gains through stroking, fuel injection and proper camming w/o very high cr's.(not really needed for good power)
What edelbrock heads did you pick up?
I bought the 60779's for small block Mopars for my stock 340 freshen up in the A66 Challenger. Wanted to get the 60179's (made for the hi compression 340's) but they have been on a one year back order!
Good luck with your build.

Last edited:

Jetsurgeon

Reaction score
Update: picked up the balanced rotating assembly and ported heads from Hughes the other day, calculated compression with the head work is 11.3, but that is going to change a little now due to the call I got from Ted this morning at Opel Engineering. The block isn't quite square, so it will be decked and then we will recalculate the compression and see if I'll need to add a thicker head gasket or not as I do want to stay in the mid-high 10's for compression.

The heads are the bare 60769 RPM heads, Cam still being determined, so rest of valve train pending that determination.

rotating.jpg

Last edited:

Jetsurgeon

Reaction score
Thought you might like some encouragement in your project. Numbers matching 72 Challenger Rallye 4-spd. Added stroker kit, 6-pack w hood, Edelbrock RPM heads, mild cam, Firm Feel steering rebuild, TTi headers, etc.. Gets where I am going pretty fast. Good luck.
Nice! The block was replaced before I got the car but the 4-speed matches. I am planning the 1 7/8" with 3.5" collectors Ceramic coated TTI headers as well as the firm feel rebuild. I decided to go fuel injected since I am building from the ground up. The car came from the factory with power steering and front disc brakes.

Jetsurgeon

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum .
with EFI the intake is far less critical although multiport injection is far better than throttle body injection so with T body injection a wet intake the intake is still more critical .
Thanks, I am kind of coming to the same conclusion that the port injection with the Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 is the direction I am leaning since Holley doesn't make a direct port system for Mopar..... I still am planning on using the Holley fuel tank module though, as it drops right into the stock tank and requires no return line with the built in regulator and sending unit.

Jetsurgeon

Reaction score
So the camshaft selection is in!! Here is what was recommended: A flat tappet, solid lifters with EDM oil holes, and with these specs:

Intake Exhaust
Lift .384" .392"
With 1.5 ratio rockers .576" .588"
Duration at .050 246 deg 250 deg

The target is a 10.75 ET but still streetable...

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Yes , I used it in a lot of customer builds + my own , typically I had 512 ci with them but yes decent street cam & great power #s which is why I continued to use it .

Back