• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Ignition key won't release- stops short of release point

cv70chall

Reaction score
Drove her last night. Got home and turned off the ignition and the cylinder rotated to about 1/8" short of where it usually stops and now I can't get the key out. Still starts fine but won't return fully.

Any ideas?

marks ebody

Reaction score
I presume it’s a 1970 column.
do you have headers on the Engine?
if yes to both those answers there’s a lever on the column at the bottom(outside firewall),if you put it into park it would move the lever up. it was there so you would not forget your keys and you did not leave the car in gear.
I believe if you move the lever up you’ll probably be able to turn the key in the off Position

cv70chall

Reaction score
Thanks!
70 column yes, but HP manifolds.
Would that lever still be present?
Do you have a pic of the location?

cv70chall

Reaction score
If You are talking about the large "lever" with the hole in the end- I rotated it all the way up so it was next to the booster- tried the key and no luck. Never was anything attached to the hole at the end of that lever- seems odd.
I then rotated it back down to about the 7 o clock position and the tumbler rotated back and key released.
Thanks for the tip! :)

marks ebody

Reaction score
Sorry about telling you to Go up instead of down.
There is a kit out I think Brewsters sells it for like 175.00. I guessing on that price. But from the factory it was hooked to the top of the transmission gearshift and rotated your column so you could turn the key and get the key out. Everyone took them off and threw them in the trashcan. So welcome

GreenOnions

Reaction score
This occasionally also happens on my 4 speed 70 Challenger. On mine, I can enable the key to move to the removal position, by rotating the collar on the steering column that is closest to the dash. Saves getting under the hood.

72RoadRunnerGTX

Reaction score
It sounds like the ’70 floor shift lock-out linkage is missing yet still running the ’70 column. Highly recommend either restoring the missing linkage or replacing the lower collar and shift tube with the later (’71 & up) spring loaded lower collar floor shift. The whole point of that system is to allow the steering wheel to lock, key removed, only in park, or reverse for a 4-speed. No linkage, the collar can allow the wheel to lock while in motion should a shutdown be required while driving.

Attachments

• column lock linkage.jpg
    column lock linkage.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 124

cv70chall

Reaction score
It sounds like the ’70 floor shift lock-out linkage is missing yet still running the ’70 column. Highly recommend either restoring the missing linkage or replacing the lower collar and shift tube with the later (’71 & up) spring loaded lower collar floor shift. The whole point of that system is to allow the steering wheel to lock, key removed, only in park, or reverse for a 4-speed. No linkage, the collar can allow the wheel to lock while in motion should a shutdown be required while driving.
I can lock the wheel after removing the key as usual. Turn it slightly and it locks.
I have the slap stick shifter on mine, having replaced the ball shifter.

jsode

Reaction score
I was having problems with my key cylinder and ignition switch. I found a video on youtube by cuda cody. He explains in a four part production, how to disassemble the steering column properly ( and reassemble it ) You may not need to do all of that, but it gives a good overview of all the problems and what the source is. I found the process to be fairly simple

72RoadRunnerGTX

Reaction score
I can lock the wheel after removing the key as usual. Turn it slightly and it locks.
I have the slap stick shifter on mine, having replaced the ball shifter.
The point is, for the 1970 column, you should not be able lock the wheel and/or remove the key in any other gear selection than Park on a floor shift auto or reverse for manual shift. If you can, the linkage is missing, and a potential safety issue exists as per the original design.

ctaarman

Reaction score
Its the steering column lockout assembly. Designed to lock the steering column and prevent the shifter from leaving park when key is removed. A set of linkages will set you back about $250, and be aware they are different for 4 sp vs auto.

Back