• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Windshield Removal

1969VADart

Reaction score
I am beginning the process of disassembling my car. I am getting ready to take the windshield out to make it easier to get to the dash. I am wondering if anyone has any advice or tips on the best way to free the glass from the windshield seal to pull it up? Thanks.

quapman

Reaction score
Utility knife, a few sharp blades and lots of patience. Cut from both sides and meet in the middle. Some time in the sun doesn't hurt either.

PST

Reaction score
Are planning to re use the gasket or replace? I would replace and used the method above. Use a razor blade/utility knife and cut around the gasket edge to expose the glass. You will need to people for removal.

Thanks
James

quapman

Reaction score
You can't re-use a windshield gasket in an E body. In fact, it's not really a gasket, but a strip of butyl(?) sealer. I usually use "Windo-Weld" since it's pretty easy to find at the local parts store.

1969VADart

Reaction score
I won't be reusing any of it. I will be installing all new glass eventually anyway. It appears that there is only sealer on the inside of the glass anyway. Was thinking there would be a way to pry the glass up. Of course, I don't want to break the glass either. Thanks.

Steve340

Reaction score
No there will be no way to pry the glass up if you could the windscreen would have blown out by now.
Pros use a cutting wire you need to follow quapmans advice.
If you really want the glass it may pay to get a professional involved as the modern urethane sealers are very tough.
Failing that the glass is probably worthless so just smash it out.

1969VADart

Reaction score
No there will be no way to pry the glass up if you could the windscreen would have blown out by now.
Pros use a cutting wire you need to follow quapmans advice.
If you really want the glass it may pay to get a professional involved as the modern urethane sealers are very tough.
Failing that the glass is probably worthless so just smash it out.

I would like to avoid the smashing it out route at all costs so I don't end up with glass everywhere. But I guess we will see. Thanks.

Adam

Reaction score
Remove inner window trim and A-pillar trim. I use steel "music wire" small like .020 ( https://www.walmart.com/ip/Precisio...20-dia-1lb-music-wire937-long/19278751?action ) . Poke a hole thru the butyl and feed it thru. Wrap each end around a dowel and have another person on the other side; pull the wire along the glass until you have gone all the way around. The petrified Butyl will be tough!

Do not pry on the glass! Also, if the sunshade green band across the top of the windshield has turned brown you should get new glass, imo.

KATSAAR

Reaction score
yup, piano or guitar string.
2 small pairs of vise grips to hold the wire.
one guy in the car, one guy outside the car.
start sawing.

Canuck74

Reaction score
I used wire and a pry tool. Broke my front window, back window came out fine. I think I pried a little too hard, and didn't make sure the wire had cut through properly on the front. I would do it on a warmish day so the butyl is easier to go through, but not so hot that it remelts together.

tklockwood

Reaction score
I recently removed mine. I used a tool specifically for that task. It is a handle with a right angle blade that slips under the edge of the glass into the seal. It also has about a 6-8" steel cable coming out from near the bottom by the blade that has a T Handle on the end of it. You hold the main handle with one hand and pull the handle on the end of the cable to force the blade around the glass, cutting the seal in the process. Worked a treat. Probably took me about 10 minutes to get it out. I got a little impatient toward the end and rushed it so I did crack the windshield, but it came out in one piece. No mess...

1969VADart

Reaction score
I recently removed mine. I used a tool specifically for that task. It is a handle with a right angle blade that slips under the edge of the glass into the seal. It also has about a 6-8" steel cable coming out from near the bottom by the blade that has a T Handle on the end of it. You hold the main handle with one hand and pull the handle on the end of the cable to force the blade around the glass, cutting the seal in the process. Worked a treat. Probably took me about 10 minutes to get it out. I got a little impatient toward the end and rushed it so I did crack the windshield, but it came out in one piece. No mess...

Where did you come about finding said tool?

tklockwood

Reaction score
2017-04-21 17.51.22.jpg

2017-04-21 17.51.14.jpg

I honestly don't know. This is the tool in question. I have had it for so long that I do not recall where I got it. It really does work super sweet at removing "glued in" windows. I don't know if the pictures will help you know what you were looking for if you went out to try to buy one. I guess if you can't find one like it I could probably be convinced to loan it to you as long as you paid the shipping both ways and promised to send it back. It really does make a tough job a lot easier.

Tom

1969VADart

Reaction score
View attachment 36567

View attachment 36568

I honestly don't know. This is the tool in question. I have had it for so long that I do not recall where I got it. It really does work super sweet at removing "glued in" windows. I don't know if the pictures will help you know what you were looking for if you went out to try to buy one. I guess if you can't find one like it I could probably be convinced to loan it to you as long as you paid the shipping both ways and promised to send it back. It really does make a tough job a lot easier.

Tom

That is an awesome offer. Let me see if I can find one before I ask for that kind of help.

quapman

Reaction score
I have one somewhere. I think I got it from Horrible Freight. After cracking two windshields and snapping off the blade on a 3rd, I don't use it any more.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I found the one from Advance Auto. Going to give it a try and see what happens. Thanks to everyone for the input.

Hope the tool works for you. I am in the process of removing the original but cracked windshield from my Challenger. I am using heavy duty picture hanging wire. I cut a piece and attached two short screw drivers to the wire, one at each end. I used a sheet rock knife to slice the sealer all around the windshield to make cutting the seal easier. Poked an access hole in the sealer at a corner and snaked the wire in, then attached the wire to the 2nd screw driver. Used a sawing motion and pulled the wire slowly through the length of the windshield. Only removed the outside trim. Had to be careful of the wire snagging the edges of the inside trim. Had to change the wire 3 times and went slow. Worked well. Have done a number of windshields this way over the years. Inexpensive wire cost me 3 bucks from Home Depot.

Back