• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

e-body pricing

cuda8u

Reaction score
i realize its 2011 but there isn't a small block ebody car worth over 25k unless its a TA or six pack done with a full rottisserie especially a small block newer than a 71

Rob C

Reaction score
While your opinion is nice to read, this is the wrong section for starters.

Secondly, the car is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it.

If you have NOT the funds to do so, move along, move along...to someone else's car and your price range.

ramenth

Reaction score
rumble's right, especially about the placement of the topic, so I've moved it up here to the general topics area.

A car's value is always what the buyer and seller can agree upon in terms of price.

3404speed

Reaction score
Have you been to the new car dealer lately? What makes a brand new car worth any more than a restored or restomodified cleanly done small block pony/ muscle car?

cuda8u

Reaction score
ebody pricing

well i think that after 71 the ebody cars took a huge down turn in looks and obviously power so for a 72-74 to be over 25k is crazy!! I am in search of a 71 rt chall and have looked at 5 cars so far to be only disappointed with slap together cars falsely advertised. These cars popularity back 4-5 yrs really drove the prices up which brought out the opportunists to build fake cars with shabby work hoping for a big turn over. It's very tough to find a good/legit car with photo documentation of restoration .

burntorange70

Reaction score
Not sure what your point is. Not much we can do about it. Keep looking is about all you can do. Good luck and happy hunting.

pagilman

Reaction score
turn it around

I'm not sure what your getting at. 72 to 74 E-bodies are exactly the same body style as the 70-71, so they are equally as beautiful. As far as your concern over horsepower, most later e-bodies have had the engines rebuilt and are putting out much more horse power than a stock 70 or 71?

My 73 would eat a stock T/A's lunch. As far as price, a retiring railroader made an honest offer of 20K at the last cruise, not that it is so fine, but you can't buy on on every street corner as you are finding out. As was said earlier its all what someone is willing to pay........:icon_exclaim:

100_0361a.jpg

cuda8u

Reaction score
Ebody pricing

The looks of the ebody are way different , grill, tail lights, exhaust cut outs and flip gas cap just to name a few!

As far as a car beating s TA , u could build an aspen to do that!

Just look at the differences.

msbaugh

Reaction score
In a way I agree with both sides. I personally wish it wasn't so expensive, but it is... people love the cars and you get what someone is willing to pay. But it's turning into a rich man's hobby... which is what i don't like. Cars can be overpriced and so can parts... it's too bad. Its a bad image if you ask me. Of course it's not always the case but most times, yes you have to have money to do this

btceng

Reaction score
I agree that the 70-71 years are iconic but the lines and the feel of the cars are basically the same. I have a 72 Challenger and very proud of it. When completed, I hope that it's worth will be over 20k but if not, so be it. I love the car and it's worth more than that to me having done it for my son.

It's like the water. It's basically free but millions of us pay $1.50 for 20 ounces of it on a daily basis but then complain like hell about the price of gas at comparatively lower cost per gallon.

Again, it's all worth what we are willing to pay. You could go get a Camaro and build it for half of what it takes for an e-body.

OP_Mopars

Reaction score
I got mine reasonably priced...market is slipping a little finally

i realize its 2011 but there isn't a small block ebody car worth over 25k unless its a TA or six pack done with a full rottisserie especially a small block newer than a 71

Well, in my experience, we've been looking for a '70 'Cuda for about 15 years and just now found one within price range of what we wanted to pay and needing very little work...$9750. We want to build a Hemi Clone, so, finding a 1970 /6 Barracuda (cause it will cost much less than a 383/440 car) has been tough until recently. We found it in Minnesota (eBay).

When done, I will have the car I've always dreamed of having, can say we built it the way we wanted it and have thousands LESS than the numbers matching equivalent you see on Barrett-jackson and/or Mecum's...even on eBay. $110,000 for a 'Cuda is just crazy (IMO) when you can build one just like it for around half that.

Anyway...

ramenth

Reaction score
The looks of the ebody are way different , grill, tail lights, exhaust cut outs and flip gas cap just to name a few!

As far as a car beating s TA , u could build an aspen to do that!

Just look at the differences.

Okay, now, let's see. Cosmetic differences. Yup, those are there, but they were there between '70 and '71, too. My personal choice says, that of the Challengers, I prefer the '71 grille to the '70. My personal choice says that of the '70-74 run on the Barracudas I prefer the grille of the '72-'74. Not as iconic as the cheese grater of the '71, maybe, but the headlight and marker light configuration makes more sense, aesthetically, to me, than the '70.

One of the things I've always liked about the '72-'74 Barracudas is the round taillights, too. The round taillights on the '68 Charger were righteous and I'm glad Plymouth picked up on the idea and ran with it on the E-body.

Aside from those things, and a few others, like a more universal side marker light usage across the board the body lines are, for all inherent purposes the same.

Personally, I'm glad when I see folks keep the drop mouth and the round taillights. These cars, all too often, usually wind up being clones to the '70's and '71's, without any regard to the car's specificity. It's called evolution of the breed and the design engineers did just that. Look at the Charger: from a fastback, to the coke bottles, to '71-'74's, to a pseudo-luxury land barge, to the front drivers of the '80's, to the four door it is now. It's an evolution of the breed.

Fact is, if you're unwilling to pay the price for a '72-'74 that's up to you, but you shouldn't, as in should...not, be so willing as to dictate what others may or may not like or may or may not be willing to pay based on your own personal preferences.

pagilman

Reaction score
OPMOPARS, got a steal on his, but this is rare to be at the right place at the right time. I Bet he still will have 60k in it when done. With the hemi it will be worth it. Out of my league but definately my dream car, post pics please.

OP_Mopars

Reaction score
Pic of mine bought as-is runnign and driving...

She needs a face lift, but you can drive it while you gather up all the stuff to do it ;) Original paint, black interior...100% original (minus radio).

$(KGrHqYOKiQE5FLl154+BORUIUHjow~~0_3.jpg

rs1

Reaction score
well i think that after 71 the ebody cars took a huge down turn in looks and obviously power so for a 72-74 to be over 25k is crazy!! I am in search of a 71 rt chall and have looked at 5 cars so far to be only disappointed with slap together cars falsely advertised. These cars popularity back 4-5 yrs really drove the prices up which brought out the opportunists to build fake cars with shabby work hoping for a big turn over. It's very tough to find a good/legit car with photo documentation of restoration .
I have triple black 71 for sale

cuda8u

Reaction score
Good points but I still feel there's a huge diff. In the points I made early...the 70 has those unreal tail lights and the 71 has a very cool grill, the rt/se is a work of art in its self.I just dont feel the passion was there from 72-74

S-S-P

Reaction score

Don't tell my classic car insurance company that.

My 73 Challenger is insured for more than 25k.

Mad Cuda

Reaction score
I agree with pagilman. I just purchased a 73 Barracuda. Its has a 383 Big Block with the 4 Speed Hurst. It has beautiful ralley red paint with black side stripes, in mint condition. Not one spot of rust on the car. Originally a California car that found its way to Ohio and always garaged until I brought it back home to California. Most people who look at it don't even know what year it is, but it doesn't really matter. Its a MOPAR and it deserves the same respect that is given to the 70-71 Cudas. I paid $29k and worth every penney. In fact I've only had it a few months and already have had offers for $35k and $38k. Like they say, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder :). Like everyone is saying, "value is what people are willing to pay and sell".

Back