• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Touchscreen Addition

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
I added a touchscreen to the console with a backup camera and Apple CarPlay as a bit of an upgrade. Always something to do.

IMG_8803.jpeg

IMG_0076.jpeg

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
Hmmm... looks like an interesting addition.
I have entertained the idea of some modern additions and yours seems be blended with the older interior design pretty well.

Katfish

Reaction score
I like it, need more details. Having a backup camera would be nice.
How is it mounted?
What model?

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I am a little nuts when it comes to making changes. I don’t like it to look like a piece of a new car stuck into an old car, so I try to make it look like I imagine it would look if the technology were available back then. That’s why I mounted three point harnesses the way I showed in an earlier post.

I don’t want to get into my ‘Cuda and feel like I am in my new Dodge Challenger. If I want to feel like I am in my new Dodge Challenger, I will drive that instead.

To mount the head unit, make a box from plywood or something similar around the metal frame that will hold the unit. Cut it to fit where you want it to go. Cover it with foam and vinyl/leather. Put it in place and wire it. I also put speakers in it because I didn’t want to cut into the original plastic of the door liners. They are also hidden. It is not mounted with fasteners. It is held in place by the shape between the console and the dash. Though at some point I want to use fasteners because I always feel like it is turned towards the passenger seat. The wire to plug in the phone is in the console storage area.

The vent cable for the driver’s side had to be moved to the left to give for clearance for the box.

You can put any brand you want. They are all 2 din units. That’s why I did the box. There was no way to fit a 2 din unit where the old 1 din unit goes.

The power amp is tucked under the package tray and the camera is next to the license plate light. That I am not happy with it because I ended up having to notch the license. Before I did, the camera limited how far the plate could swing up and it was next to impossible to put fuel without spilling it. The nozzle had to be jammed under the plate sideways and would not go far into the filler tube. It works well with the notch, but it looks stupid. Have to make a change. I was thinking about possibly reversing the plate swing to down instead of up. Obviously you wouldn’t have this issue with a Challenger because of the fill tube not being behind the license plate.

I also don’t like the trim plate, but I have not been able to find a better one that fits correctly.

61350222094__847AA507-DA14-4658-BB23-AC9693EE4BDC.jpeg

IMG_6685.jpeg

IMG_6687.jpeg

IMG_6683.png

IMG_6689.jpeg

Last edited:

heminut

Reaction score
Nice upgrade! The only modernization I've done to my Cuda other than the Gen III Hemi is replacing the cigarette lighter with a double USB port so my wife can charge her cell phone at the car shows! :rofl:

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
Nice upgrade! The only modernization I've done to my Cuda other than the Gen III Hemi is replacing the cigarette lighter with a double USB port so my wife can charge her cell phone at the car shows! :rofl:
I like how you put that original air cleaner on the engine.

TripleBlk70

Reaction score
Love the camera in the spoiler. I'm going to do something similar with a camera, but rather than a touchscreen I will use a rearview mirror with integral camera. I used one on my last build and I like it.

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
I was thinking of adding an Alpine stereo with a flip out screen.

IMG_7048.jpeg
IMG_7047.jpeg

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
I looked at putting one of those in, but while it fits in a one din whole, the screen didn’t come out far enough to clear the gauges.

Deezel

Reaction score
I honestly think this touch screen would work. BOSS Audio

The floating head unit looks like it will stick out far enough to clear the gauges and has quite a bit of up/down movement as well as swivel movement.
It might not be the top of the line stereo but does get pretty decent reviews.

g104BE7SD-F.jpg

Katfish

Reaction score
Very interesting, who's gonna try ......
Would be tight, I have feeling it may hit some of the trim, but maybe

Back