• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Leaf Spring "add-on leaf"?

TeeScott

Reaction score
All,
I recently purchased a 73" challenger 340 ralleye car that has various bolt-on type mods, but is in overall solid condition. Regarding the rear suspension: a PO added not just "helper"coil-over type springs on the shocks but also bolted on these "extra" leafs to the bottom of the spring packs. What is the purpose of these? My web searches indicate these type devices are typically used on trucks/tow vehicles to help stiffen the rear suspension. In addition, most of my research depicts these type leafs being added above the spring stack vice below it?
IMG_0924.jpg

The car currently sits just slightly above level, and I'll take some before/after height measurements as I return the rear suspension back to a near stock lay-out.
THX
TeeScott

Xcudame

Reaction score
Being bolted under the leaf springs, I don't see the "extra leaf" doing anything. I'd certainly unbolt them. It looks like a previous owner was trying to fix a low rear end with the springs over the shocks. Liking my cars to handle, I'd get some high performance shocks and new xhd leaf springs if the back end is sagging.

moparleo

Reaction score
Just an FYI, the rear end sat slightly low when the car was new. This was on purpose and helped with cornering rear steer.
A 50 year old car could always use a suspension refresh.
As said before, new springs and good shocks will make a big difference.
Also a complete front suspension rebuild would also be in order.
PST has good quality suspension parts and gives members a 10% discount.

Steve340

Reaction score
I forget the exact name for those but I have seen them before. They were added by owners who wanted to beef the spring for towing or if the spring had sagged and the car was riding too low.
As suggested a new set of heavy duty springs would be a good idea.

TeeScott

Reaction score
Gents,
THX for the quick feedback and recommendations. Once I get all the "extra" springs removed from the leafs and the shocks, I'll see how the car site and re-assess what's next.
-TeeScott

Steve340

Reaction score
No matter what manufacturer - American cars are typically pretty softly sprung.
A rear spring/torsion bar/shocks upgrade makes these older cars drive much better without a huge expense.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Don't forget some wide sticky tires! Fortunately he already has front and rear sway bars (which may need the rubber replaced)!

Litchkar

Reaction score
Whatever you decide on the leafs, get rid of the springs on the shocks. The upper attachment metal was not designed to carry the weight of the back end, that is the job of the leaf springs.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
My 71 Challenger had the trailer hitch dealer accessory option when new. The helper springs you have were added to my car as part of the option.

Back