• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Gentlefolk of E-bodiesville my 71 has one last issue

Gary Kitchens

Reaction score
The fitment of the console ashtray is non existent. My console has a curvature, the ashtray and bezel from Classic Industries is flat as Kansas. What is the remedy for this?

Here's the look that I cannot present to my client in the photo's below. IMG_4129.jpgIMG_4130.jpgIMG_4132.jpg

tonysrt

Reaction score
I have a 71 Cuda and the ashtray is almost flat. It may be a problem of the ashtray receiver is not completely secured in the console. It looks like it's not completely pushed down in the console.

Gary Kitchens

Reaction score
Ask me, this is a curved item. It is not flat like these ashtrays it curves from left to right not from front to rear.

Monty's 340

Reaction score
Just checked my ashtray and lighter in the console on my 72 Challenger, original and the console doesn't appear to have quite as much curve as you are showing, the ashtray bezel is mounted in the console and conforms to the very slight curve in the center section of the console but the ashtray insert is as flat as a die. I can post a couple of pictures later if it will help. It might help to install the bezel in the console and see how it conforms to the console or vice versa.

Gary Kitchens

Reaction score
Hey Monty, I would really appreciate that. Thank you. I got a hold of the guy Steve from the other Mopar place. He wants 325 bucks for the two belt line moldings and one used ashtray from his 71 console…. So I’m kind of in shock lol.

I would really appreciate seeing your 72 consul ashtray and if you could slip the ashtray out and take a picture of the bezel insert itself, that would be awesome.
The reaper by bought from Classic Industries is the same one that several other Mopar places sell and it just drops into my hole and wiggles around. There’s no tabs to bend to make the insert the firm inside the consul on the one I got from Classic and sent it back.

Gary Kitchens

Reaction score
I am 18 miles south of Seattle as the crow flies in Deep South port orchard near pierce county line.

Monty's 340

Reaction score
Well you are a ways off from me, I'm in Mount Albert Ontario, Canada. So bunch of pics coming. Bezel is fastened in the console with two tans inside on left and right sides.View attachment 114669View attachment 114670View attachment 114671View attachment 114672View attachment 114673View attachment 114674View attachment 114675View attachment 114676View attachment 114677
I am 18 miles south of Seattle as the crow flies in Deep South port orchard near pierce county line.
Hope these came through ok, let me know if you need anything additional. There seems to be quite a bit more of a curvature to the back end of your console. you may need to warm it up either by hot sunshine or a hair dryer or heat gun to relax the plastic a little to lower the center curve in the console.

Gary Kitchens

Reaction score
I’m out in my shop and I got the first set of pictures but not the second set. Is this the tab in my photographs that hold them into the console?
I will get you a couple of pictures of the inside edges of mine here in a moment.

IMG_4253.jpeg

Gary Kitchens

Reaction score
I have a smooth edge to my console all around the square.

The part I got from Classic Industries did not have any tabs to bend over and hold it self to the console.

IMG_4257.jpeg

IMG_4256.jpeg

Monty's 340

Reaction score
Yes there are short solid tabs on the short sides of the insert, the upper right one you circled . they are bent in under the recess to hold the astray surround/ receptacle in place in the console. The ones on the left center I believe are at the back of the console. Yeah well then there is no way to install the receptacle. I saw a couple of replacements that looked pretty correct one being from Year One and one from Herb's parts. They appear to have the proper locking tabs to secure the bezel in the console.
https://www.yearone.com/Product/challenger-cuda/ac6674#prettyPhoto

Gary Kitchens

Reaction score
Yes, I am doing the restoration on this 71 every single nut and bolt and screw every single body panel removed. The only thing I did not do was rebuild the transmission that went to my friends at ABC transmissions in Tacoma and I did not do the machine work on the block that went to my machinist friend I did all the assembly that this assembly etc. painting you name it.

But I let her roommate move into the room, where I kept all the trim after I restored the trim, and those two pieces are missing. The car, never had an ashtray, because that backside of the consul was broken and it had likely got thrown in the trash years ago, this is a two owner car with 288,000 miles on it when I got it seven years ago.

Monty's 340

Reaction score
Wow I have had mine (1972) for 49 years and only have 28,000 on it. Hasn't seen the road since 1976. But harsh winters and lots of road salt started the cancer and it did some damage as well as tubbing, roll cage and frame connectors. So I have it on the rotisserie going over it inch by inch and hoping to live long enough to finish it. LOL Good luck with the ash tray, as I said you might want to warm that rear plastic area a little bit when fitting in the bezel to help it conform a bit to shape.

Cheers Gary keep up the good fight!!!

Gary Kitchens

Reaction score
Thanks Marty. I took this off the rotisserie about four five and a half years ago…. She’s been on her new shoes for a year and a half.

Whoever bought it new traded it in about four months after they got it was about 4000 miles on it. My clients father bought it and he took it to 288,000 driving from Maple Valley to Boeing every day plus overtime until he passed about 14 years ago it’s been sitting ever since and I’m doing the restoration.

I have around 3000 photographs of the job both before during and after so far the last things I have to paint are the center caps, which is going to be sometime next month

Gary Kitchens

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on applying a little bit of heat to soften that hard plastic. I just got a find an ashtray that has the tabs I can bend and I should be in business. It’s never going to get used to because the owner doesn’t smoke and he’s giving it to his grandson who also doesn’t smoke because he’s four years old lol

Back