• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

exhaust manifolds or headers

michael bucklew

Reaction score
put headers on my '71 Challenger small block. the ends of the pipes were tight against the torsion bars on both sides. no air gap at all. friend gave me some manifolds--part #53010187 left and 186 rt side. are these good bad or ugly. I know its a matter or personal preference....Suggestions wanted---thanks, Michael '71 challenger

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
There is a lot to this , First I don't have a reference for the part #s you supplied but they seem like later manifolds , probably mid 70s which are not good . A better choice is the later manifolds used on magnum engines in the 90s as they flow very well .
I'm not sure what make your headers are but if they go under the steering center link I would get rid of them for sure ! Better fitting headers are available from TTI , Dougs Or Hooker 5115 headers .
The third aspect is the cam , do you happen to know the LSA spec for the cam ? The the 110* cams work far better with headers & really don't work well using manifolds , the 112-114* cams work better with manifolds .
Single plane intakes tend to respond better using headers as well , conversely dual planes work better using manifolds .
Headers typically add 25 HP on a dyno , carb retuning will be nessisary as well .

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Kinda depends on what you want to do with the car. If purely street, go manifolds. They will be much quieter, give more clearance/room, and have a lot less hassles to deal with (plug wires burning, leaky flanges, etc.). Yes, you will lose a little horsepower but so what? There is a tradeoff. Not all headers are created equal either. I had a 440 in my '69 Charger that had headers and it kept cooking the starter. Replaced them with manifolds and never looked back. I had a '70 Duster with a 360 stroker (408) and put Dougs headers on. Those headers needed some dings to clear the torsion bars but they were by far the easiest to install. Boy that combo was a runner! Again, all depends on what you want to do with the car, and your budget.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
There is a lot to this , First I don't have a reference for the part #s you supplied but they seem like later manifolds , probably mid 70s which are not good . A better choice is the later manifolds used on magnum engines in the 90s as they flow very well .
I'm not sure what make your headers are but if they go under the steering center link I would get rid of them for sure ! Better fitting headers are available from TTI , Dougs Or Hooker 5115 headers .
The third aspect is the cam , do you happen to know the LSA spec for the cam ? The the 110* cams work far better with headers & really don't work well using manifolds , the 112-114* cams work better with manifolds .
Single plane intakes tend to respond better using headers as well , conversely dual planes work better using manifolds .
Headers typically add 25 HP on a dyno , carb retuning will be nessisary as well .
my cam is a 340 cam, forgot specs. heads are 360 TA milled 30 with large valves and CCed----block is a 318, 30 over. thanks, will header shopping

Xcudame

Reaction score
If I was going to use exhaust manifolds on a small block, my first choice would be 68-70 factory 340 manifolds. Second choice would be the early 90's truck exhaust manifolds. Another option is a set of shorty tri-y headers.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
Kinda depends on what you want to do with the car. If purely street, go manifolds. They will be much quieter, give more clearance/room, and have a lot less hassles to deal with (plug wires burning, leaky flanges, etc.). Yes, you will lose a little horsepower but so what? There is a tradeoff. Not all headers are created equal either. I had a 440 in my '69 Charger that had headers and it kept cooking the starter. Replaced them with manifolds and never looked back. I had a '70 Duster with a 360 stroker (408) and put Dougs headers on. Those headers needed some dings to clear the torsion bars but they were by far the easiest to install. Boy that combo was a runner! Again, all depends on what you want to do with the car, and your budget.
tried to find 70s exhaust mans..not much look. will research headers-----street and show car, not going to the salt flats

CBCM 1942

Reaction score
I love my TTI headers on the hemi, they flow so nice and easy to service.
Check out my video on the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/@CBCM1942

71582073589__E86CC85C-89AE-4F56-AB7A-8804B6B7925B.jpeg

Back