• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Headers or exhaust manifolds??

Super-G

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 73 Challenger with a 69 440 and a 6 pack. Currently the car has a beat up old set of headers that are leaking not only at the head but also somewhere down below. The headers and the exhaust are all beat up since the car sat for 4-5 years and it all MUST go.

So my question is this. The car is a weekend cruiser and NOT a track car. The 440 6 pack and 4 speed are PLENTY of performance for weekend cruising.

Would I be better off removing the beat up old headers and going back to factory manifolds or is it better to go with another set of headers?

I'm new to big block Mopars but it appears just like all other brands headers can either fit great or be a nightmare.

If I go with factory manifolds, is there a decent exhaust system to use or should I just have a reputable mufflershop build one?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
locating a set of the HP manifolds can be difficult but Year one remakes new castings
TTi makes a system that will bolt on & fit great thatis all mandrel bent & with a choice of mufflers

moparleo

Reaction score
If you have the factory manifolds, go for it. A good header like TTI will not leak and makes horse power but, headers make noise, generate a lot of heat under the hood.If you want to hear the radio, go with manifolds, If you like the music of a Mopar making horsepower, go with a cylinder head back TTI system. Best fit , high quality complete systems but not cheap. FYI I went heads back to the rear bumper with polished, ceramic coated TTI's. Bought mine a few years back at the " Spring Fling " Mopar show and swap for about $1400. Comes complete with all required clamps, hangers, bolts and gaskets. Sweet fit.

Super-G

Reaction score
HA HA I didn't buy another Musclecar to hear the radio. That being said I'll never get a $1400.00 exhaust system past my wife. Not after convincing her that buying a Musclecar was a good move...HA HA

Can anyone recommend a good value header....?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
well TTI or Dougs are the Only headers I would use , simply put a cheap header will cause more problems & headaches than you will save , , cheap headers will leak , crack , burn ign wires , drag on the ground & often require clearancing [denting] just to fit them

moparleo

Reaction score
Go to your local parts store that you deal with or local Mopar parts dealer and ask them who they recommend for good exhaust work in the area. Have them make up a dual exhaust sytem with at least a 2 1/2" diameter and a good set of mufflers, Flowmanster, Dynamax,etc.... Save up for a top quality, no compromise header when you can afford it. Spread out the financial pain and it hurts less in the long run.
But I hate to say it, Exhaust manifolds are heavy for a reason, very good at quieting the engine compartment down, low maintenance when installed correctly and long life. The wife might like it better if it not so loud that she can't hear her cell phone when riding with you.. Just a thought..

Last edited:

74 challenger

Reaction score
i had headers on my 440 and it was a pain doing plugs and starter. if i can on my next 440 i will go with the manifolds. it looks cleaner and i dont have to worry about the wires getting burnt. good look

Super-G

Reaction score
Still conflicted. My motor has a .030 overbore, a mild Mopar cam, and a 6 pack intake. I kind of feel like that combo should have a set of headers....but...
I'm leaning a little more towards factory manifolds just because I've always had issues with headers. I figure the factory maniflds will be a "bolt on and done" situation compared to the potential issues that tend to follow a header install. That being said I don't want my car to sound like a Honda with a fart pipe either. I love the sound of a big block with 2-1/2" exhaust and a set of Flowmasters.

I'm just not prepared to pay $500.00-$600.00 for a set of headers knowing that I also need a complete exhaust system along with about 4-5 other things before spring.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
the problem with local exhaust systems is it will all be crush bent not mandrel .

Rob C

Reaction score
A cheaper but good header would be the headman Elite headers with there thicker flanges and high temp coatings. Not as expensive as tti's but the coating that makes them priced higher than the crap black paint is well worth it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-78038/

Add a Jegs or Summit racing exhaust kit.

2-1/2 kit, true dual exhaust header back w/mufflers. The summit mufflers sound good and not so loud.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-680142/

Kit with out mufflers but only in 3 inch pipe.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...ize/7-2L-440/Muffler-Included/No/?Ns=Rank|Asc

I have used this system (Only from Jegs) before. Mandrel bent pipes, fit nice, minor minor trimming at the bumper was done to fit the pipes evenly. Easy to do kit.

About 620 for the whole deal @ 2-1/2 inch exhaust pipe size, mufflers and hangers included in the kit.

Last edited:

Super-G

Reaction score
In talking with a Mopar buddy of mine his thoughts are that the 440 with a mild cam and the 6 pack really needs a set of headers to breathe properly. So headers it is.

OK so then the general consensus is that for headers it really comes down to TTI or Dougs? I've got a year end bonus and Christmas coming and just might spring for the headers and then do the exhaust in April for my birthday. The car won't be on the road anyway since winter is just about here.

Another question, how about fitment with a 4 speed? I've had other musclecars and some headers have interference issues with the Z bar.

jvcuda

Reaction score
Another question, how about fitment with a 4 speed? I've had other musclecars and some headers have interference issues with the Z bar.

Which heads?
Here's a link to TTI's web site:http://www.ttiexhaust.com/HEADERS.htm#RB

By the way,I have the heddman Elite headers on my 440,346 heads '73 cuda.Been on there for 7 years now. I can pull out my powermaster mini starter with the header installed.

john

Back