• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970-71 vs 72-74 Challenger rear valance differences

DrEamer

Reaction score
I am conterting my 1970 Challenger into a 1970 tribute car. My question is what is the difference between the 70-71 and 72 and up rear valances. They are two different part numbers from AMD.

moparlee

Reaction score
Take a look at the AMD pictures. The 72-74 valances have a stand off bracket for the license plate. The 70-71 ones do not, the license plate lays flat on the valance surface.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The valance panel is the same for all years. What is different is what is attached to it. The 70 cars have several brackets that attach to the car and the valance to hold it into place. These brackets are separate peices of metal that are not welded to the pan or car. In 71 Mopar went to one center bracket that is welded to the pan. The one bracket made installation easier and faster on the assembly line. Knock the bracket off and you have a 70 pan. In 73 the bumpers were moved out from the car for new crash standards. When this was done the tag light did not shine on the tag since the bumper was out further from the car. To remedy this Mopar added a stand to the valance to move the tag out to the bumper so it could abide by DOT lighting standards. It was left the same way in 74.

moparlee

Reaction score
The valance panel is the same for all years. What is different is what is attached to it. The 70 cars have several brackets that attach to the car and the valance to hold it into place. These brackets are separate peices of metal that are not welded to the pan or car. In 71 Mopar went to one center bracket that is welded to the pan. The one bracket made installation easier and faster on the assembly line. Knock the bracket off and you have a 70 pan. In 73 the bumpers were moved out from the car for new crash standards. When this was done the tag light did not shine on the tag since the bumper was out further from the car. To remedy this Mopar added a stand to the valance to move the tag out to the bumper so it could abide by DOT lighting standards. It was left the same way in 74.

Thanks for doing a better job in explaining the differences. I had forgotten about the center support bracket.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I'm sure that I'll have more questions as I get going on this, but it's great to have the members here with such a knowledge base.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Time to ask one more question, do I need to buy the brackets for the 1970 when I am putting it on a 1973. AMD sells the valance with and without the brackets.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
If you use the 70 style..yes. I would look at some pics of both years of valances on the cars. You may not want to go to the extra expense and trouble of the 70. It's hard to tell the difference once mounted on the car. The only difference is the brackets not the outer pan.

Back