• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

17 Inch Wheel / Tire Combination Question

Newell33

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm looking at the American Racing Torque Thrust style wheels (AR105M) for my '72 'Cuda. I've seen quite a few other owners post that a 275/40r17 tire on a 17x9 wheel with 5.0 inch backspacing will work for the rear, and a 245/45r17 on a 17x8 with 4.5 inch backspacing will work for the front.

After doing some measuring last night, I've found that the car has 15x8 Rallye wheels with 275 tires on the back now, but the original rear backspacing appears to be about 4.5 inches. American Racing only offers the AR105M wheel in a 17x9 size with a 5.94 inch backspacing. Since I'd be losing almost an in and a half of clearance to the leaf spring by going from 4.5 inches to 5.94 inches, I'm certain that at best I'll have less than a 1/4 inch of clearance. This is too close for comfort for me. This leads me to a few questions:

1. Has anyone used a 17x9 wheel on the rear with almost 6 inches of backspacing with the factory spring location (I'm don't plan to relocate or make any modifications)?

2. Most of the tire charts that I see don't recommend going over 265mm on a 9 inch wide wheel, and 245mm on an 8 inch wheel. It seems that many people exceed these recommendations. Are these charts correct, or are they a bit outdated based on today's tire design?

3. I may end up going with a 17x8 wheel on the back as well as the front since I know I can get 4.5 inch backspacing. Should I stick with a 245/45r17 like the front, or would it make sense to try to install wider tires on the rear wheels even though I'm using the same width of wheels for the front? Another option is to go with 17x7 up front.

I appreciate any insight that can be given from others who have gone the 17 inch wheel route.

Thanks!

Newell33

Reaction score
Well, after quite a bit of digging and research the wife and I have decided on MB Old School wheels in gunmetal with a polished lip, and Nitto NT555 G2 tires. The fronts will be 17x8 with zero offset (4.5 inch backspacing) with 245/45zr17 tires. The rears will be 17x9.5 +6mm offset (5.49 inch backspacing) with 275/40zr17 tires. If my measurements are correct, the rears should take up pretty much all of the available space width wise when using stock suspension. I was having trouble with the backspacing options available on the 17x9 or 17x9.5 wheels in most brands. The MB Old Schools were the only ones that we could find that we liked in the under $200.00 each price range that didn't have 6 inches + of backspacing. The tires are identical in diameter, but the combination allowed me to go quite a bit wider on the rear. I'll post photos once they arrive for additional reference.

Josh

Mickm72

Reaction score
I am just finishing up the F.A.S.T. EFI install. I have completed the Hotchkis VTS install but thought I would show you how my wheels and tires came out. I spent two years photoshopping photos of every wheel/tire combo imaginable and this is what I decided on. I must say, I was originally going with 17's & 18's but my best friend talked me into looking into the 18's & 20's.
Boy am I glad I did! I had to add a 2" block in the rear to get the stance where I wanted it but here it is.
b0a0d5f5-ec2e-4989-b1d9-04a0eb7d5bc3_zpsnhios7vy.jpg

Cheers!
Mickm

Newell33

Reaction score
I finally had a chance to grab a few photos with the new wheels and tires. The only minor issue with this combination is that the rears don't look quite tall enough. After looking at many different wheel and tire combos, the wheels and tires we chose were the only ones with a decent price point, and with the correct backspacing. All in all we're very happy with the look.

IMG_1754.JPG

IMG_1755.JPG

IMG_1756.JPG

Avalanche

Reaction score
The rims and tires look great.
If you want the rears to look taller, just lower the front 1/2" and that will make a difference

Newell33

Reaction score
Thanks. Unfortunately, I'm as low as I can go on the front due to a set of headers that hangs fairly low.

Zippy

Reaction score
You never said what size wheels and tires you ended up going with.

Newell33

Reaction score
Zippy,

Check out the first part of the second post in this thread. That's what I ended up going with.

Thanks,
Josh

fk5aar

Reaction score
Not best angle, I sold car but kept the wheels. Year one 17x8 w 555 nittos

IMG_0634.JPG

Pistolgrip496

Reaction score
I am just finishing up the F.A.S.T. EFI install. I have completed the Hotchkis VTS install but thought I would show you how my wheels and tires came out. I spent two years photoshopping photos of every wheel/tire combo imaginable and this is what I decided on. I must say, I was originally going with 17's & 18's but my best friend talked me into looking into the 18's & 20's.
Boy am I glad I did! I had to add a 2" block in the rear to get the stance where I wanted it but here it is.
View attachment 37927
Cheers!
Mickm
Hi can you tell me who makes those wheels? Also the wheel sizes back spacing and tire sizes.
Your car looks great.
Thanks

AUSTA

Reaction score
I went with 275 rear 18 x 10 rim 5.75 backspace front 245 18 x 8 rim 4.5 backspace no mods ,no rub

Attachments

• F8Baer.jpg
    F8Baer.jpg
    724.9 KB · Views: 427

Tom Frost

Reaction score
I finally had a chance to grab a few photos with the new wheels and tires. The only minor issue with this combination is that the rears don't look quite tall enough. After looking at many different wheel and tire combos, the wheels and tires we chose were the only ones with a decent price point, and with the correct backspacing. All in all we're very happy with the look.

View attachment 43224

View attachment 43225

View attachment 43226
Looks great. I am buying the same rims in the same sizes. Do you think there is room on the rear to go with a 275/50 series tire on the back. I plan on rolling my fenders. Stock suspension and I have 20's on the back now...so I think the 50's will fit and giver the taller look you wanted. Thanks.

t/awesley

Reaction score
View attachment 37927
Cheers!
Mickm
can you tell me the offsets for your wheels? thank you

sdcbowler

Reaction score
I went with 275 rear 18 x 10 rim 5.75 backspace front 245 18 x 8 rim 4.5 backspace no mods ,no rub
Austa,

Your wheel and tire size look very nice. I would like to go with the same sizes. You mentioned the specs of the wheel but did not say whether or not there was any offset.

Thanks

Drivun

Reaction score
offset and backspacing are two different ways of measuring the location of the hub surface within a rim. Just google offset vs backspace for an explanation. Tiresize.com has a back space to offset conversion calculator.

Back