• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Challenger AM/FM radio, 3 speaker dash

DY31970

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I'm new to the forum and relatively new to owning a 1970 Challenger. I have a few questions and I'd appreciate your help. My car has the R35 option, AM/FM Multiplex Stereo. It has the 3 speaker dash. Does the R35 option include the 3 speaker dash? The original radio is missing and was replaced with a more modern radio/stereo. Above the radio and slightly to the left is a round knurled knob that says speaker, the knob can be rotated to the left and right. Does that speaker knob control a speaker/ speakers in the package tray area in the back? The package tray now has 2 modern 6X9 speakers in it with the plastic grills above and on top of the package tray, so I don't know the original configuration. Or is the speaker knob for the front 3 speakers? If there was a speaker(s) for the back, would that have been a part of the R35 option also? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Challenge360

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I'm new to the forum and relatively new to owning a 1970 Challenger. I have a few questions and I'd appreciate your help. My car has the R35 option, AM/FM Multiplex Stereo. It has the 3 speaker dash. Does the R35 option include the 3 speaker dash? The original radio is missing and was replaced with a more modern radio/stereo. Above the radio and slightly to the left is a round knurled knob that says speaker, the knob can be rotated to the left and right. Does that speaker knob control a speaker/ speakers in the package tray area in the back? The package tray now has 2 modern 6X9 speakers in it with the plastic grills above and on top of the package tray, so I don't know the original configuration. Or is the speaker knob for the front 3 speakers? If there was a speaker(s) for the back, would that have been a part of the R35 option also? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
The AM/FM radio equipped cars all came with a 3 speaker dash (same for the 8 track cars). There were two speakers in the rear package tray, as well. The knob is a fader switch that controls the front speakers vs. the rear.

Hope this helps.

DY31970

Reaction score
Challenger360, Thanks for the information, it helps a lot. I've been wanting to put in a new package tray and now I know the correct one. The one with the speaker slots.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
The outboard holes weren't cut out round either. Picture taken from the link.

Attachments

• Spkr Hole.jpeg
    Spkr Hole.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 129
Back