• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Challenger: any VON in the "0829xx" to "0830xx" range?

TobiasM

Reaction score
Hi folks,

is there anybody with a 1970 Challenger (sorry, no Cudas of any help here) that has a vehicle-order-number (VON) in the range from "0829xx" to "0830xx"?

Do you than already know who the original dealership was that sold your car new in 1970 or have a broadcastsheet (a.k.a. buildsheet)?

If so, I would really appreciate if you contacted me. To do so, either use this board or send an email to "derheuschmidder" followed by "@" and then final-ending is "gmx.de".

Why am I asking? Cause I have got no broadcastsheet to my 1970 Challenger or other appropriate documents, that would allow me to find out what was the original dealership that sold my car new in 1970.

Maybe this info helps others:

- VON 086302 belongs to a CUDA ordered from a dealership in Cleveland, OH.

You find your cars vehicle-order-number (VON) on your 1970 fendertag in the second line from bottom, it is the last 6 digits on the far right, see attached example-pic I borrowed from the www (yes, that samplepic shows a Cuda, though I am searching for Challengers).

image.png

moparlee

Reaction score
I did not know that from the VON you could determine who the dealership was that ordered the car.

aussiemark

Reaction score
I don't think you can, how do you know how many cars the dealer ordered and if they were in sequence. Perhaps some sold cars were slotted in between dealer stock and sent to a different dealership as they would take priority.

Last edited:

TobiasM

Reaction score
I did not know that from the VON you could determine who the dealership was that ordered the car.

Lee,

the dealer cannot be determined via just the VON directly for the general public or even Chrysler, as there is no known database for that or at least no such database has been revealed.

BUT the dealer can be derivated by the VON indirectly with a bit of luck...or should I say a ton?

As far as I know, the to be used orderforms were sent from Ma-Mopar to each dealer in batches, some say in batches of 50, others in batches of 100...but does not matter too much for my purpose.

To identify the dealership, you need at least two cars with VON's as close to your own as possible. Ideally one with a VON lower than yours and another one higher.

If the owners of these two neighbour VON's already know who was the original dealer, than you're all fine. If they don't know yet, one might find out depending on what documentations they have on their cars.

I am going this route, because I have no other chance to find my original dealer, as I only got my fendertag, but no broadcastsheet, windowsticker or sth. alike.

Last edited:

TobiasM

Reaction score
I don't think you can, how do you know how many cars the dealer ordered and if they were in sequence. Perhaps some sold cars were slotted in between dealer stock and sent to a different dealership as they would take priority.

Mark,

no worry, in the requested VON-range of "0829xx" to "0830xx" that has absolutely no negative influence in the result I am aiming at.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I know this is probably a long shot or dumb question. Is there a dealer sticker on your trunk lid or deck, may be there, may be faded? Probably not!
There is also a website that lists old mopar dealerships. You could check the dealers that existed in a geographical area where you think your car was sold.
Additionally, if you know of someone in law enforcement or motor vehicles that could run your vin, you might be able to track it back.
Good luck though.
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

TobiasM

Reaction score
Phil,

thanks for trying to help me, too.

Unfortunately no dealer-sticker or signet anywhere on my car...no unfadet areas with the circumferences of such a formerly attached sticker/signet either.

If anybody here is able to run my VIN through DMV/insurance-databases, just let me know.

My guess is that my car is from the eastern states...but thats only a guess, I could be completely wrong on that. And the direction "east" brings up way too many dealerships to getting specific which of these might or might not have been "my" original dealership.

Again, thanks anyway!

aussiemark

Reaction score
Private investigators often have contacts within government departments it could be worthwhile contacting one to see if the dealer can be found by tracking the VIN to the original owner.

Back