• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Challenger Idle Solenoid (Calif Built Challenger)

caj

Reaction score
Doe's anyone out there know how the Idle Solenoid gets wired. This is a 2 wire solenoid with one positive wire going to the back and a secondary ground male terminal on the hex head of the plunger, which is brass and adjustable. We looked at the car and even though there is a blue wire attached to the back....it is going to ground. So it actually seems like the solenoid is hooked up to ground on front and back. Looking for how the wiring should actually go...where and how do we pick up the positive. The shop manual isn't helpful. BTW...the hex head nut that the brass fitting is attached to is insulated so I believe the ground is picked up from the brass fitting touching the adjusting screw. Thanks

mopp_0301_05_z+440_carter_avs+carburetor_solenoid.jpg

Avalanche

Reaction score
I got this from another site.

the neg from the solenoid goes to the grey connector of the lead from the carb which sits under the idle sspped adjustment screw which has a plastic bushing that the screw threads into. The other side of the solenoid goes to battery power with the key on. There is a lead included in the stock harness. IIRC it's dark blue. The concept is when at idle the adjustment screw touches the throttle lever which completes the circuit for the solenoid by providing the ground. The solenoid retracts the breaker plate and retards the timing by 5 degrees.

Theres more here
1970 BB Distributor Solenoid Wiring Pics | Moparts Restoration & A12 Forum | Moparts Forums

caj

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all of the help. The problem has been solved. There was a "Y" wiring harness that was put in backwards. Turned it around and problem solved. Thanks again!!!

caj

Reaction score
I got this from another site.

the neg from the solenoid goes to the grey connector of the lead from the carb which sits under the idle sspped adjustment screw which has a plastic bushing that the screw threads into. The other side of the solenoid goes to battery power with the key on. There is a lead included in the stock harness. IIRC it's dark blue. The concept is when at idle the adjustment screw touches the throttle lever which completes the circuit for the solenoid by providing the ground. The solenoid retracts the breaker plate and retards the timing by 5 degrees.

Theres more here
1970 BB Distributor Solenoid Wiring Pics | Moparts Restoration & A12 Forum | Moparts Forums
Thanks for your help Avalanche. I just now saw your reply...it was never forwarded to my email.

Back