• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Challenger R/T Warranty Block Question

elm71340

Reaction score
Hello -

I just purchased a 70 Challenger R/T. I verified the transmission as number's matching, however, I was informed that it has a factory warranty replacement block. It is a 383 car. The engine has no VIN plate on it. The area in front of the valley pan next to the Distributor says 383 69 1 7. I realize this indicates it is a 1969 block. My question is this - Is it possible that a dealership would have issued a 1969 warranty block for a 1970 car?

Any help appreciated - Thanks you

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure but I do know that if that block started life in a '69 car it should read E383 and it'd have a vin on it.

IRON MAN

Reaction score
Lately I have been looking for a 70-71 Challenger R/T that is #'s matching. Read in the Challenger & Barracuda Restoration Guide the following: " You may also find the upper engine pad blank, which indicates that the original engine was replaced under warranty. Warranty engines usually have a tag riveted to the block just above the freeze plug." This is on page 12-13. Last week I backed out of a 70-71 Challenger R/T auction because of fraud being committed...I was high- bidder and reported it and was allowed to retract my bid. The Challenger was removed from the auction site.

4mayhemi

Reaction score
The engine has no VIN plate on it. The area in front of the valley pan next to the Distributor says 383 69 1 7. I realize this indicates it is a 1969 block. My question is this - Is it possible that a dealership would have issued a 1969 warranty block for a 1970 car?
If it has no VIN, to be a real "warranty" block for this car it would have to have paperwork saying so. Without this proof, it is just a "warranty" block or an "over-the-counter" replacement block (or faked block) that could be from any car. I would highly doubt a Jan 7, 1969 assembled block would be in a 1970 (especially if car SPD is in 70).

-Just to be sure, the casting number should be 2468130. What is the casting date?
-The top pad stamp numbers lacking an "S" (or "E"), and with a "69"? Could have been stamped by a dealer during replacement. But on 383s it is easy to deck the stamp pad because of location.
-When you say "no VIN plate" are you talking about the boss milled on the lower passenger side of the block is blank? And no VIN stamp where the transmission bolts up (for later 68s)?

Pictures of all would help.

elm71340

Reaction score
If it has no VIN, to be a real "warranty" block for this car it would have to have paperwork saying so. Without this proof, it is just a "warranty" block or an "over-the-counter" replacement block (or faked block) that could be from any car. I would highly doubt a Jan 7, 1969 assembled block would be in a 1970 (especially if car SPD is in 70).

-Just to be sure, the casting number should be 2468130. What is the casting date?
-The top pad stamp numbers lacking an "S" (or "E"), and with a "69"? Could have been stamped by a dealer during replacement. But on 383s it is easy to deck the stamp pad because of location.
-When you say "no VIN plate" are you talking about the boss milled on the lower passenger side of the block is blank? And no VIN stamp where the transmission bolts up (for later 68s)?

Pictures of all would help.
Thanks for the reply -

- I have to research casting number
- top pad stamp looks to be original, however no way to confirm
- there is no boss milled on passenger side of block
- I can get pictures soon

I bought the car assuming it was a non-numbers matching engine with best case having a warranty block. At this point just trying to determine what it is. Lack of VIN boss on passenger side is puzzling.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I'd look for the casting date next, here's my '71 383 and you see I just behind the engine mount on the driver's side.

IMG_1559.JPG

Grady Cain

Reaction score
20170813_100702.jpg
20170813_100734.jpg
20170813_100802.jpg

Here is some information on this subject from David Wise's books. As always, take it for what it's worth. Hope this helps...

aussiemark

Reaction score
Maybe the blocks and short engines were stored in the parts section and replenished as needed and the newer stock was put at the back of the older stock (like a supermarket shelf) so they had 1970 or 1971 stuff on hand but the 1969 stuff was at the front and they wanted them gone first. As long as the components match up the part numbers will cross reference or supersede and the parts department will hand them over to the mechanic. I don't think there would have been as many 383 failures as compared to Six Pack or Hemi failures due type of people who bought these cars and the way they used them.

4mayhemi

Reaction score
I doubt they would have a big stock of warranty short blocks with assembly already stamped, besides it could have been 1973 when first replaced.
We'll have to wait for elm71340 pics, as its unclear on the casting/lack of boss and he described an RB stamp pad location. He may have an old RB block.

elm71340

Reaction score
Thank you for provided feedback. It will be a few weeks before car is transported to me. I will post pictures then. Looking forward to hopefully determining what it is.

Back