• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 dodge challenger front frame rail replacement

bullet18

Reaction score
Im have a 1970 dodge challenger that has not aged well. The torsion bar cross member was almost completely rusted off before i replaced it. The front frame rails are gonna need replaced along with at least one of the inner fenders, the firewall, the cowl, an A pillar and the front floor. Those are just a few of the things that need fixed but i was wondering if anyone had any tips for aligning frame rails for instalation. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

all original

Reaction score
HI
I would build a jig to hold the car in place and together, take a lot of measurements and pics before you
start cutting it apart. Mine had a lot of rust and was hit in the passenger side. Had to replace the passenger side frame rail as well. Hope this helps
SANY0013.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
That's the only way to do it! I used more falsework when I cut out and replaced the cowl, firewall and A-pillars on my RR. When I completed the last cut to free up the cowl section from the base of the windshield pillar I could feel the tension that the unibody was under and I was glad I added all the crossbracing.
IMG_1242.JPG
IMG_1243.JPG
IMG_1245.JPG
IMG_1246.JPG

bullet18

Reaction score
If im installing subframe connectors can i get away with building half a jig for the front of the car or is unibody still going to have ptoblems? Thanks for the help so far!

bullet18

Reaction score
You have the dimensions, right?
Frame Dimensions 70 Challenger
a flat plane to work off of
maybe a decent laser level could help
Thanks! I only had dimensions for a Barracuda before. Im thinking of making a jig that holds the front end up and make a mold of sorts by bending sheet metal around the bottom of the frame rail so i can slide the new frame rail in in the exact same position as the old one.

Back