• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 E-body Factory Black Engine Bay?

pschlosser

Reaction score
I'm reviewing a 1970 E-body LA car, with a black engine bay. This BS23 `Cuda car has factory (albeit, faded) original paint, but the engine bay is painted black. On closer inspection, whomever painted the engine bay did a very nice job. There are some places where the red under color shows through, but as I work on this car, and inspect its secret under pants parts, someone did a really good job painting the black on. It was painted with the engine removed, but just about every other thing as well, such as the wiper motor, cable hanger, wiring harness, you name it.

So my question is, was there an option to deliver a car with a black engine bay from the factory? According to the owner, they are the 2nd owner, and they know the prior owner pretty well, and claim the car came this way. Is this possible? And if so, would the option not be on the fender tag?

autoxcuda

Reaction score
Nope.

Just someone did back in the day.

Friend has a 70 'Cuda LA built also, someone sprayed canned it black. It's just wiping off.

Xcudame

Reaction score
My 71 Barracuda was originally FJ6, but some painted the whole car black. Engine bay, door jambs, trunk. I think the engine bay was spray can, because it didn't stick real well.

20230529_161650.jpg

20230529_161711.jpg

Xcudame

Reaction score
The only thing under the hood that should be painted black on a non-dark painted car is the top of the cowl and front of the radiator!

Xcudame

Reaction score
DetMatt1, you could be right. My 70 Challenger's cowl is definately black. My 71 Barracuda's cowl was FJ6, but there doesn't seem to be two shades of black now. In fact the black paint rubs off pretty easy and I don't think factory paint would do that.

greatscot3

Reaction score
I'm reviewing a 1970 E-body LA car, with a black engine bay. This BS23 `Cuda car has factory (albeit, faded) original paint, but the engine bay is painted black. On closer inspection, whomever painted the engine bay did a very nice job. There are some places where the red under color shows through, but as I work on this car, and inspect its secret under pants parts, someone did a really good job painting the black on. It was painted with the engine removed, but just about every other thing as well, such as the wiper motor, cable hanger, wiring harness, you name it.

So my question is, was there an option to deliver a car with a black engine bay from the factory? According to the owner, they are the 2nd owner, and they know the prior owner pretty well, and claim the car came this way. Is this possible? And if so, would the option not be on the fender tag?
Hey Pschlosser

This is off the subject of engine bay paint but I noticed your location is shown as Santa Rosa CA.
I am in the Grass Valley CA area.
I wondered if you have been to the Capitol City Mopars show in Sacramento or the yearly car show in Maxwell CA? If you haven't been there it's on I5 North of where Hiway 20 crosses over I5.
I've been to the CCM show in Sac and thought it was pretty great but never been to the one in Maxwell and wondered if you had and it was worth going to.

Jon S.

Back