• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1971 4 speed shifter location

Steve340

Reaction score
I recently bought a book that said that for 1971 the shifter location was moved closer to the driver.
Is this true?
If so what is the difference?

quapman

Reaction score
1970 was the first year for the dual mount tailshaft. I wish these books would go in people's fireplaces.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
That's the most recent one, yes? I personally haven't heard that there was a change but I also don't know for sure that there wasn't. Others will chime in I'm sure.

Steve340

Reaction score
Yes it is a new book.
It kind of makes sense there was no change. I say this because my 71 has a 70 style console and it all fits.
However thinking about it this could be just bracket location.
I guess if the shifter is moved the shifter hole in the floor pan would also need to move?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Put it this way, if it moved at all it couldn't have been more than a 1/2" because there's no difference in the consoles from '70 to '71 except the ashtray and these cars are just not big enough for there to have even been a need for a mod like that. The author is mistaken.

quapman

Reaction score
Maybe they are confusing/comparing the B-Body single shifter boss trans with the B/E-Body dual boss.

That's the point I was trying to make a few posts up.

Most of the early books written about E-bodies claimed that "the new E-body platform shares the cowl & firewall with the B-bodies." Nope. Never.
Kindling.

Back