• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1971 Challenger brake cable routing

cool72

Reaction score
Hi all, great site. My 71 Challenger rear has one long (pass) cable and one short (driver) cable. The body has a single cable connection on each side. The cable coming from the e brake pedal runs through the frame, slanted towards the pass side. Can I convert the e brake to both cables on the same side? I can weld an additional bracket. on the driver side but I think the angle on the cable from the e brake pedal will not accomadate the two cables on the same side. Has anyone had this issue and what recommendation are suggested.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
First, I would ask why go to the trouble. They were on one side on the 70 models.

cool72

Reaction score
First, I would ask why go to the trouble. They were on one side on the 70 models.
Thanks The way I see it is I need to change the long cable in the rear with a short one and get all the parts for for a 71 setup. Or weld the cable connection to the driver side frame rail and find parts for a 1970 e brake setup. I can then use the long cable already installed in the rear. I think this is a rear out of a 1970. Any suggestions?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Sounds like the rear is out of a 70 Ebody or it is out of a B body. Just get a short cable to replace the long side. The cables are reproduced.

cool72

Reaction score
Sounds like the rear is out of a 70 Ebody or it is out of a B body. Just get a short cable to replace the long side. The cables are reproduced.
Thanks again. That is what I figured. I have some parts and I think they are for a 71. However I need a diagram of the 71 e brake cable configuration to see what additional parts I need. Any help! Thanks

Back