• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1971 Challenger Grill: R/T vs. Base

Trevor Challenger

Reaction score
I had recently purchased a challenger Grill for my 71 Challenger Convertible. It is said to be an R/T challenger grill. What's the difference between an 71 R/T grill and a base model 71 grill? I know the difference between hemi and R/T but how can I know for sure I have a 1971 R/T grill?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Here's a reference books explanation of the '71 grille but I'm not sure why they mention the T/A in the final sentence.

image.jpeg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Silver argent.
image.jpeg

Dark gray although this one looks black
image.jpeg

I have the argent in my vert so I'm not sure if the lower one was done correctly but you get the idea.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The reference book is old and incorrect. In 71 all Challenger grilles were injected molded using black plastic. The RT was left black naked plastic and the scoops were silver. The standard grille was painted argent with silver scoops. Chrysler used the term gravel silver to explain the texture of the argent paint.

Trevor Challenger

Reaction score
The reference book is old and incorrect. In 71 all Challenger grilles were injected molded using black plastic. The RT was left black naked plastic and the scoops were silver. The standard grille was painted argent with silver scoops. Chrysler used the term gravel silver to explain the texture of the argent paint.

Very very helpful. Thank you very much.

Back