• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

2-speed rear end - questions

hofilbert

Reaction score
I am looking at another '70 barracuda and this car has been upgraded from a 318 to a 426 w/727 and the seller said it has a 2-speed rear end. He has a switch by his seat he reaches down and changes performance level. Now, I understand the high/low for performance and hwy, but what is it? Factory? aftermarket? who made them? Worth $?
I've never heard about them on a cuda and don't know much about them. Are they rare? or good to have? or not?
Thanks for your time.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Could be gear vendors over drive it works on a switch i have one on my TA with a 3.9 diff
can be switched manually or by automatic speed activation

Canuck74

Reaction score
I've only ever heard of and seen them on Big 1.5 ton+ trucks. It does sound like an overdrive unit behind the transmission to me.

autoxcuda

Reaction score
Hone-O-Drive was the 2 speed aftermarket rear offered in the mid to late 60's.

I've heard of Shelby's with ?dealer? Installed with 9" rears.

Never heard of a 8 3/4 rear version. But I don't study them. An not much info on them.

In an old Hot Rod or something magazine of mine there's and product announcement of the Hone-O-Drive. And aluminum unit with a lever on the side of it. Would have to have the driveshaft shortened.

IRON MAN

Reaction score
There is the possibility the two-speed rear is one that Dana Corp offered back in the late 60's designed specifically for the Mercury Cougar. It was basically a redesign of their truck 2-speed unit. It works like an overdrive. I have looked for decades to find this extremely rare rear end. There is a picture of it in Petersen's 3rd Edition BASIC CHASSIS, SUSPENSION & BRAKES.

Back