• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

3.23 or 3.55 gears

dogmagolf

Reaction score
Currently running 3.91's with a 440-6 and 26" tires. Car hits around 4200 RMP at 60-65 (speedo is slightly off so not exactly sure). Looking at either 3.55 or 3.23. What are others experiences that have a similar setup. I am leaning to the 3.55 as it isn't really a highway car, might see highway occasionally for short distances, more of an in town car. I feel like the 3.55 would be a good middle ground and still have some good acceleration to play with where the 3.23 might feel a bit slow around town especially if I want to play with a Subaru or two. Looking for others thoughts with any experience on this tire setup. Tires are fairly new, so not likely to replace.

Thanks,

Jon .:R

Katfish

Reaction score
I'd go with the 3.23, 440 has plenty of torque to move it along.
Nothing more annoying that running around at high RPM.
Upgrading my 727 to 518 has made the car so much more enjoyable to drive.

pschlosser

Reaction score
I have 3.23s on a 440 car with your typical 14-inch wheels and BFG Radial TA tires. They're not the largest tire that will fit, but they are not small, off the top of my head, 275/60R14. These drive like my Chrysler Pacifica on the highway, doing 55-65 around 2300-2600 RPM.

The 440 will still out run your Subarus, Hondas and what-not between lights. But 3.55 would definitely be better, with the trade off that a road trip on the highway will feel like it's taxing the motor.

I had a 4.10 Dana 440-6 Air Grabber car, and on a highway road trip, it always felt like I was being mean to her going 75 for hours on end. When I'm on a road trip, I want to hurry up and get there. Cars with shorter gears are not so ideal on the highway.

But if you're confident you'll mostly be driving yours around town, accelerating hard when the opportunity arises, I'd say go for the 3.55s. I don't think you will feel like it's a big change coming off the 3.91s.

edit: you will smoke 3.23 tires without suregrip. even with, you cannot whomp on it like you can with 4.10 suregrip. 3.23s take alot more throttle control, and if you're really wanting to be competitive street wise, stay on the shorter gears like the 3.55s

Last edited:

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Currently running 3.91's with a 440-6 and 26" tires. Car hits around 4200 RMP at 60-65 (speedo is slightly off so not exactly sure). Looking at either 3.55 or 3.23. What are others experiences that have a similar setup. I am leaning to the 3.55 as it isn't really a highway car, might see highway occasionally for short distances, more of an in town car. I feel like the 3.55 would be a good middle ground and still have some good acceleration to play with where the 3.23 might feel a bit slow around town especially if I want to play with a Subaru or two. Looking for others thoughts with any experience on this tire setup. Tires are fairly new, so not likely to replace.

Thanks,

Do you have a stock torque converter? With a higher stall TC you can go to 3.23 and not lose a lot of low end umph. The 3.23's are my absolute favorite gearing for all around driving.

dogmagolf

Reaction score
I have 3.23s on a 440 car with your typical 14-inch wheels and BFG Radial TA tires. They're not the largest tire that will fit, but they are not small, off the top of my head, 275/60R14. These drive like my Chrysler Pacifica on the highway, doing 55-65 around 2300-2600 RPM.

The 440 will still out run your Subarus, Hondas and what-not between lights. But 3.55 would definitely be better, with the trade off that a road trip on the highway will feel like it's taxing the motor.

I had a 4.10 Dana 440-6 Air Grabber car, and on a highway road trip, it always felt like I was being mean to her going 75 for hours on end. When I'm on a road trip, I want to hurry up and get there. Cars with taller gears are not so ideal on the highway.

But if you're confident you'll mostly be driving yours around town, accelerating hard when the opportunity arises, I'd say go for the 3.55s. I don't think you will feel like it's a big change coming off the 3.91s.

edit: you will smoke 3.23 tires without suregrip. even with, you cannot whomp on it like you can with 4.10 suregrip. 3.23s take alot more throttle control, and if you're really wanting to be competitive street wise, stay on the taller gears like the 3.55s
Thanks pschlosser for the insight. I would imagine the longest road trip would be 45 min. to an hour on the highway in this car, so winding it out that long shouldn't be to much of an issue other than the gas. Right now it is just to much, if I could see it in the 3200 RPM range at highway speed I would be content. I am starting to lean towards the 3.23 gears though; the more I research it the more it seems it will be the right fit for an around town street car/cruiser.

dogmagolf

Reaction score
Do you have a stock torque converter? With a higher stall TC you can go to 3.23 and not lose a lot of low end umph. The 3.23's are my absolute favorite gearing for all around driving.
I am not sure on the stall, I will have to check into it. That is good to know the 3.23 are your favorite, that is what I am leaning towards now. I feel there wouldn't be enough of a noticeable difference only going down one step or so.

MarksMopar1

Reaction score
My Challenger is a factory 3:55 and I installed a 3:23 . The difference is small but noticeable on highway runs especially the longer hauls. Either gear is a great choice. The 3:23 is behind a 440 , with the torque of the big block a 3:23 still spins those 275/60/15’s .

Cuda360-4

Reaction score

Thanks,

I had 3.91 gears and always felt like I needed to shift into another gear that I didn’t have when on the highway. I just put in 3.55 gears and I love them. I have a 30 over 360 block with 340 heads, 250 HP and 300 ft pounds at the wheels.

Avalanche

Reaction score
I had 3.23 and went up to 3.55 and the city driving was so much better. You do notice it revs a little more on the highway, but not by much.
I prefer the 3.55 for better all around driving.

Litchkar

Reaction score
if this helps, I have 3.23 with 37” tall tires. At 60 mph, it is running approximately 2,800 rpms. Running a 727 torque flight.

shovelhead

Reaction score
Keep gears and just get an extra set of wheels with 28" tires, bolt on/bolt off depending on where going choose 26" or 28"

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
I've run all three gears... 3.91, 3.55, 3.23... I love the 3.23 as it's great on the highway... and still has plenty of get-up and go! But.. I've also ran the 3.91 on the highway... just have to go a little slower mph.... I've even run 4.30 gears... then consider a trailer or just driving lower mph. All depends on how long your drive is on the highway... an hour or two or three... no problem or concerns. I suggest driving on the highway according to your rpms... 3000... no problem... 3250... ok... 3500 and up... drive slower for long periods of time.

dogmagolf

Reaction score
Just an update for everyone. Turns out that she was running 4.56 race gears (car was inherited so not a lot known originally) with 26" tires. Helps explain a lot. Put 3.23's in and while it's not as rambunctious, it is getting much better mileage and great for cruising. Used to drive around the neighborhoods for 30 minutes and have to fill it up. Took it all around town this weekend and to a car show and still had half a tank by the end of the day lol. Definitely an improvement in drivability for what we want out of it.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Nice thing about an 8 3/4, it is so easy to swap out the gears in a couple hours! :) Only draw back, and you all know, is the smell of the gear lube!

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Nice thing about an 8 3/4, it is so easy to swap out the gears in a couple hours! :) Only draw back, and you all know, is the smell of the gear lube!
I never liked the smell of gear oil in the morning or any time.
Edit:The chemical composition of gear oil causes it to smell so bad. The oil consists of a variety of different compounds, including sulfur-containing molecules. These molecules are responsible for the unpleasant odor. Sasquatch fart might smell like?
mr__yuck_by_buzztorchpolar_d41o98i-fullview.jpg

sasquatch fart.gif

Last edited:
Back