• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

318 to 360 engine swap drive line questions

llane

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am replacing my 318 with a 360 I picked up and had a few questions. My car has the 904 trans and the 727 I got with the motor came out of a 89' dodge truck, the casting # on the trans is PK3898866 5638 7938. I cant seem to decipher this # as I don't know if this is original to the truck as the engine wasn't and if its equipped with OD and requires some kind of modification. I also have a few other questions.

Is the transmission mount the same.
When I get the 727 slip yoke are they all the same and will have any issues with the U joints
Anything else I am missing as I am not too educated in driveline parts.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. The bolt pattern on the bell housing seems to be of a 727 (see pic) from what I found on-line. It threw me off at first as I wasn't expecting to do all this, was I wrong just wondering. Thanks

20160314_091350.jpg

20160206_181552.jpg

Last edited:

Michael_Ecks

Reaction score
I'm assuming that the engine and transmission in your pics was bolted together when you got them out of the truck? And that it is going into your Challenger?

Small and big block bellhousing patterns look very similar, and the angle of your pic makes it hard to be sure it is small block. If it was bolted up to the 360 in your other pic you should be fine. Overdrives didn't start until 1990 and were called A518's not A727s. The mostly hollow tail shaft housing of the 727 was replaced by a much larger housing that contains the over drive. Google search the two, the difference is very obvious.

If it is a 727 the main body will fit into the body of your car fine. If you have a slap stick shifter like most ebodies, you will need to track down an earlier passenger car 727 tail shaft housing and internal parking rod. The truck 727's will be missing the mounting boss for the bracket that holds the bottom of the floor shift rod, and the internal parking rods will not work if mismatched. (I know this because I went through the same thing, truck parking rod still attached to the valve body + passenger car tail housing = no park) You will also need a shorter drive shaft as the 727 is longer than the 904 you are replacing. The only difference I know of in yokes is the large vs small u joint. Transmission mounts are exactly the same.

llane

Reaction score
I'm assuming that the engine and transmission in your pics was bolted together when you got them out of the truck? And that it is going into your Challenger?

Small and big block bellhousing patterns look very similar, and the angle of your pic makes it hard to be sure it is small block. If it was bolted up to the 360 in your other pic you should be fine. Overdrives didn't start until 1990 and were called A518's not A727s. The mostly hollow tail shaft housing of the 727 was replaced by a much larger housing that contains the over drive. Google search the two, the difference is very obvious.

If it is a 727 the main body will fit into the body of your car fine. If you have a slap stick shifter like most ebodies, you will need to track down an earlier passenger car 727 tail shaft housing and internal parking rod. The truck 727's will be missing the mounting boss for the bracket that holds the bottom of the floor shift rod, and the internal parking rods will not work if mismatched. (I know this because I went through the same thing, truck parking rod still attached to the valve body + passenger car tail housing = no park) You will also need a shorter drive shaft as the 727 is longer than the 904 you are replacing. The only difference I know of in yokes is the large vs small u joint. Transmission mounts are exactly the same.

Thank you very much for the information it's very helpful the picture of the transmission is the old one. I believe its at 904 its only 30 inches long. I got the 727 transmission with the engine I picked up and like I said it was out of the truck and I was going to mate them together and just put them in and shorten my driveshaft I know I have to get a new slip yoke for it and I'll check the connecting rod like you mentioned hopefully I can get this puppy fired up. Hopefully I'll get some time to try it out this week I'll let you know what happens thanks again appreciate it

aussiemark

Reaction score
I am in a similar situation I am going to fit a 340 engine in my Challenger it is an original 318 car what I will do is use the 904 until I have all the parts to fit the 727. You have to change one of the engine mount/engine block brackets because the engine mount lugs are in a different location on one side (I can't remember which side) on the 340/360 compared to the 318.

Aussie Challenger

Reaction score
The drivers side (American) has the different engine mount. Why change the 904 for the 727, the 727 is slightly stronger but many drag racers used the 904 because overall it was lighter and in a street driven car will give good service.
As for the '89 Truck transmission it is possibly the 500RH which didn't have a lock-up convertor.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am replacing my 318 with a 360 I picked up and had a few questions. My car has the 904 trans and the 727 I got with the motor came out of a 89' dodge truck, the casting # on the trans is PK3898866 5638 7938. I cant seem to decipher this # as I don't know if this is original to the truck as the engine wasn't and if its equipped with OD and requires some kind of modification. I also have a few other questions.

Is the transmission mount the same.
When I get the 727 slip yoke are they all the same and will have any issues with the U joints
Anything else I am missing as I am not too educated in driveline parts.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. The bolt pattern on the bell housing seems to be of a 727 (see pic) from what I found on-line. It threw me off at first as I wasn't expecting to do all this, was I wrong just wondering. Thanks
You may have too check the Governor i fitted a 727 from a van & couldn't get it to hold 1st or 2nd above 4,000 rpm changed the governor to a 5,600 now all is fine
It seems Dodge used several different governors for different vehicles

llane

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information. Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier my question if I were to use the 904 transmission what do I do about the torque converter i know the 360 is externally balanced. I read somewhere online a guy who said he learned long ago when he was an apprentice he just simply transferred the weights with the flexplate, is that an option? Also the torque converter I got with the new engine is a very high stall he told me its a 3200 which is a bit much for my application, at this point I would rather use the old one and just get this thing running as I seem to be extremely short on time this year.
I appreciate all the help

llane

Reaction score
Okay finally found time to drop in the motor and got all ready to go and when I hit the starter it will not engage the flywheel I kept the 904 transmission got the flex plate and the gears will not mesh can't figure out why very frustrated at this point I appreciate any help

Back