• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

340 build looking for recommendations

Fendermender81

Reaction score
I have a 340 block I'm going to put together for street use.. Its .60 over, this is how I bought it. I'm looking for a list of intake/ heads/ carb and cam on what will make a nice driver with some good sound.
350-400 hp max is all I need.

I have a stock crank and rods too. Probably just run some factory J heads

It will be going in a E body with an automatic trans

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
This is totally my personal opinion and may not match others preference! If you have stock rods and crank (assume cast, not forged), I'd look to make HP in the mid RPM range. No replacement for displacement, so the .60 over helps. Now match all your parts so they all make HP in the same similar range. I like Edelbrock Aluminum RPM heads, and I do the gasket matching of the ports. A dual plane low rise intake makes HP in the lower RPM's. A larger plenum with a higher mounting of the carb makes HP in the higher RPM range. I'd talk to the cam mfr. about your setup so they can suggest a grind that works best for the RPM range. A carb too needs to match what you are trying to flow. Too much or too little CFM's is not good. There are charts out there that match your setup or speak to Holley/Carter/ whatever. Probably a 750 CFM for the HP you want to hit. If I had to do it over, I'd probably went with electronic fuel injection, but that domino affects to other parts like fuel lines and tank. Last but not least, the torque converter. Just enough stall to get you in your HP range and keep it there. If your engine power band is 3,000 - 5,000 let's say, then a converter that stalls at 5,500 doesn't make logical sense. Oh, a good set of "tuned" headers. I went with Hedman, but would go TTI if I could have a do over. I look forward to see others ideas and comments.

Fendermender81

Reaction score
This is totally my personal opinion and may not match others preference! If you have stock rods and crank (assume cast, not forged), I'd look to make HP in the mid RPM range. No replacement for displacement, so the .60 over helps. Now match all your parts so they all make HP in the same similar range. I like Edelbrock Aluminum RPM heads, and I do the gasket matching of the ports. A dual plane low rise intake makes HP in the lower RPM's. A larger plenum with a higher mounting of the carb makes HP in the higher RPM range. I'd talk to the cam mfr. about your setup so they can suggest a grind that works best for the RPM range. A carb too needs to match what you are trying to flow. Too much or too little CFM's is not good. There are charts out there that match your setup or speak to Holley/Carter/ whatever. Probably a 750 CFM for the HP you want to hit. If I had to do it over, I'd probably went with electronic fuel injection, but that domino affects to other parts like fuel lines and tank. Last but not least, the torque converter. Just enough stall to get you in your HP range and keep it there. If your engine power band is 3,000 - 5,000 let's say, then a converter that stalls at 5,500 doesn't make logical sense. Oh, a good set of "tuned" headers. I went with Hedman, but would go TTI if I could have a do over. I look forward to see others ideas and comments.
thanks

340challconvert

Reaction score
Fendermender
:welcome:
to FEBO from New Jersey
You should go the Welcome Wagon section and introduce yourself.
How about some pics of what you are working on? Be great to see your car!
340 small blocks are great to work on and can really respond to modifications.

In looking at suggestions; I too want to buy Edelbrock Aluminum RPM heads. I have an above deck 340 stock high compression engine and pistons with 65cc open chambers so be careful in choosing the right head if you go this route. The Edelbrock 60179 heads are needed for above deck Hi compression pistons. I originally bought the 60779 heads and found they would not work on my engine (valve to piston clearance issues) and had to return them.
If you engine has been punched out 60 over with new pistons, this may not be an issue for you. Just something to think about
Again welcome to FEBO

Fendermender81

Reaction score
Fendermender
:welcome:
to FEBO from New Jersey
You should go the Welcome Wagon section and introduce yourself.
How about some pics of what you are working on? Be great to see your car!
340 small blocks are great to work on and can really respond to modifications.

In looking at suggestions; I too want to buy Edelbrock Aluminum RPM heads. I have an above deck 340 stock high compression engine and pistons with 65cc open chambers so be careful in choosing the right head if you go this route. The Edelbrock 60179 heads are needed for above deck Hi compression pistons. I originally bought the 60779 heads and found they would not work on my engine (valve to piston clearance issues) and had to return them.
If you engine has been punched out 60 over with new pistons, this may not be an issue for you. Just something to think about
Again welcome to FEBO
I will snag some current photos of the car i'm working on.. its a 71 convert.. thanks for the info on the motor

JK16VTurbo

Reaction score
My second 340 is being built using stock 1970 internals and heads. It is a 4.100 bore, yes I know a grenade but that was my mistake when I bought it. Get a good dual plane intake and up to a 750 carb. The cam choice is what will give you the H.P. I use Pro Form 1.6 roller tip rockers and although I know I am going with solid roller lifters, the machine shop is picking the cam. I am looking for right around 400 hp, 10.5 -11 to 1 cr. I will let you know what the results are when it’s done.

Xcudame

Reaction score
If you want to use stock J heads and only want 350 - 400hp, get a good three angle valve job on the heads, an Edelbrock air gap intake manifold, 750 cfm carb, TTI headers and the stock 340 camshaft! That way you can stay with your stock 340 torque converter. You'll be right around 375 hp. The 340 was way under rated by Chrysler. Closer to 320 hp from the factory.

Back