• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

340 engine, valve cover, air cleaner cover paint

challboy728

Reaction score
I am getting ready to paint the 340 6 pack engine out of my Dodge Challenger T/A. I am restoring the car back to original. The valve covers and air cleaner lid are different shades of orange. Also, the valve covers are more "orange" than the Hemi Orange paint typically used on the engine. Were all these items painted at the same time or were the valve covers and air cleaner lid painted separately from the engine? Seems I read somewhere they were painted separately, but I can't seem to locate that info. Thanks for any help on this!

quapman

Reaction score
Valve covers were painted on the engine, along with the bypass hose and battery ground cable.

There's been so much discussion about correct colors on air cleaners & lids that I'm not sure what to say on that one, but my best guess would be that Fram painted them at their factory in Canada where the whole assembly was made.

moper

Reaction score
I've seen original cars where they were different shades. But personally I paint them at the same time so they all match. That's an appearance preference - not perfect restoration though.

Reaction score
DSCN0500 1.jpg
My original air cleaner lid is a lighter shade of orange than the engine paint. The lid was painted by the vender and not with the engine. Here is a photo. The lid is original, the engine was repainted by me in 1990 the last time I detailed it.

TexasDave

Reaction score
Does anyone have the correct paint code for the 340 6 pack engine color so I can go to my local PPG dealer?
Thanks

Back