• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

340 Exhaust Manifold Hardware Question?

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Hello,
My 71 Challenger has long tube headers. I will be switching back to original factory exhaust manifolds in the near future. My question is, do I need any special hardware (bolts/spacers etc.) to correctly install the factory manifolds? I know I will need gaskets. If so, what hardware do I need and where can I purchase it? The car has a 340 with an automatic transmission. Also, does the service manual have a torque spec. for the exhaust manifold bolts?

Thank you,

Tirekickertoo

Ralph

Reaction score
I believe year one has a kit for the nuts and special washers.

moparlee

Reaction score
Hello,
My 71 Challenger has long tube headers. I will be switching back to original factory exhaust manifolds in the near future. My question is, do I need any special hardware (bolts/spacers etc.) to correctly install the factory manifolds? I know I will need gaskets. If so, what hardware do I need and where can I purchase it? The car has a 340 with an automatic transmission. Also, does the service manual have a torque spec. for the exhaust manifold bolts?

Thank you,

Tirekickertoo
You can get the bolt kit from Roseville Moparts and other suppliers. The torque spec from the FSM is 20 ft-lbs.
70-74 318-360 71-73 340 Exhaust manifold hardware kit | Roseville Moparts

RJHJR

Reaction score
You might consider '70 340 manifolds over the '71s, its not 'correct' but they do perform better.

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply's. I looked at the suggested vendors and I see they offer an assortment of exhaust manifold hardware. Would someone be able to take pictures and share their 340 exhaust manifolds mounted? I need to see where the nuts and bolts are placed on both drivers and passenger side exhaust manifolds. Also, Yes, I wish I had 1970 small block exhaust manifolds for their performance characteristics. However, the current budget doesn't allow for the asking prices on these manifolds!

Thank you,

Tirekickertoo

reborn73

Reaction score
If you are not in a hurry, ask in the WTB section here. I scored a set of '73 340 manifolds from a fellow MOPAR fan in Wi a couple of years ago for a little over $200

moparleo

Reaction score
The service manual has all of this information. Do you have one ? This is the first thing anyone who wants to work on any car needs to get. The downloads are free. Section 9 for engines and section 11 for exhaust systems. You need to get one and then read it several times to get familiar with how to quickly look things up. Factory pictures and diagrams are there as well.

Back