• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

4 Barrel Intake under shaker on 71 Cuda

Steve Blair

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,
I have a 71 Cuda clone with a 440 and 4 barrel shaker assemble that has a CH4B intake, the problem I'm having is the intake is about an inch too tall for the shaker to fit under the hood. Does anyone know if the Wiend Action Plus would fit since it's supposed to mimic the height of a factory 4 barrel intake (I do have a factory 4 barrel intake but from what I read it has poor performance).

floyd

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help, but there are a couple different 4-bbl shaker bases. The throat on a 383 baseplate is about 1/2” deeper than the 340/440 base. At least that’s correct for original parts. Not sure on repros.

pschlosser

Reaction score
The OEM stock intake manifolds do an excellent job placing the carb at the correct height and position for the shaker setup. When we deviate from that setup, things can get complicated.

I'd be surprised if the Wiend intake adds more than 10 HP. You may find the OEM intake a worthwhile trade to get the shaker working correctly.

I predict the simplest path is going back the to the OEM intake.

Steve Blair

Reaction score
The article I read compared a number of intakes (with the stock intake being one of them), according to the article the stock intake developed about 50 hp less than the Wiend Action Plus (which was far from the best). Since I had my engine on the dyno with a Edelbrock RPM which was better than the Wiend Action Plus (but way too tall for the shaker hood) I hate to go back to stock when the Wiend is supposed to be very close to the height of the stock 4 barrel manifold but develops greater hp and torque. The shaker assembly and hood was purchased through Year One a number of years ago for a 440 so I would hope its correct. I guess I will compare the height of the stock manifold to the CH4B after I remove it just to see what the difference is and go from there. Thanks for the feedback, as always you guys are a great help!

Steve Blair

Reaction score
I thought I would provide an update on the shaker hood, turns out I didn't understand the hood needed to be pushed down to compress the seal on the shaker so after I adjusted the hood so it was centered on the hood pins and lowered the back of the hood it fit with the CH4B intake just fine (I just had to compress the seal some). Thanks for the input, I will post some pictures of the car in the next day or two...

Back