• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

WTB 4 Speed - Longest Shift Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jax_1975_Dart

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
This might be a shot in the dark but, I’m helping a friend track down one of the shift rods for a 4 speed conversion. We need the longest rod (which ball-park length) should be around 12”-ish inches?

Anyone happen to have the long rod available or can point me in the direction of a good aftermarket part?

Thanks!

Steve340

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The front lever should be up the other way.
Brewers sell new repro shift rods at a very reasonable price.

Jax_1975_Dart

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brewers sell new repro shift rods at a very reasonable price.
Thank you! I stumbled across another thread on FABO directing to Brewer’s and seems like the real deal. Will check them out.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not if it's an overdrive. ;)

That doesn't appear to be an E-body transmission or shifter, which makes sense because the 3-4 rod on an E-body is much longer than what he says he needs. From what I can see in the photo, the shifter mechanism is A-body, '68-'70 B-body, or '70s truck. None of the body styles shared linkage parts, though the A/B-body used the same mechanism '68-'70, a very similar version of which appeared on trucks starting around 1975 (the truck shifter has a grease fitting in the side).

The rod visible in the photo is installed incorrectly. It should go to the center lever on the shifter mechanism.

If you're not 100% sure of what you have, you'd do well to remove the levers from the transmission and check for numbers on them, as well as anything and everything you can read on the raised pad on the other side of the transmission. If it is in fact an overdrive, both Hurst and Inland provided shifters for those transmissions. Despite similar appearances, the Hurst and Inland parts absolutely will not interchange except as complete assemblies including rods and levers.

Brewer's will be able to sort it all out for you. They're good people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back