• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

426 build opinions, OE or aftermarket? any other advice?

ODT

Reaction score
So I am working on a car. It's a 1970 car that came with a 426. We don't have the original 1970 engine as it was stolen in the 80's. Not the car, just the engine was stolen when it was being rebuilt. So over the years the owner collected some parts to build another 426.

We have a '66 RB block, new in box Mopar Performance P4529898 heads, a Crane ZIP-510 cam, stock rods, stock intake and the original 2x4 Carter AFB's (which need a serious rebuild).

The car is very rare and so we would prefer to eventually get it back to "as original as possible" but willing to do this piece by piece over time. Need to get it built and on the road sooner rather than later. Also not looking at going with performance options or any real modifications.

All that being said, I worry about finding a decent used crankshaft so I am wondering;
1) if people feel there is any good reason not to use a new aftermarket crank
2) if anyone has had any experience with some of the less expensive aftermarket cranks and can recommend or warn against any.
3) same questions around pistons but also taking into account the difference in the aftermarket heads (which I would gladly swap for good OE if the budget permitted but they would have to be 1970 or later correct 426 heads)
4) any concerns or suggestions or alternates with the rest of what we currently have and plan to use.

I realize this is a lot of questions for someone new to this site so I really appreciate any help and advice. I am not new to engine rebuilding but know very little about these particular engines and it has been years since I worked in the industry.

Thanks to all who take the time,
onedumbtrucker

Back