• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440/727 tailshaft

cool72

Reaction score
Captured a 440 engine and auto trans from a motor home. The numbers on the front of the motor are J440 T, 6 14 2. The casting numbers above the starter are 3698830-440-10. I think it is a 440- RB-1972 to 78 but not sure, can anyone verify? The trans numbers above the pan on the drivers side are 3640825m4338 5654. I will need a new tailshaft, I think 16" not sure. Will the tailshaft from a 318 trans work. If not does anyone know a source where I can buy one? This will be going in a 1971 Challenger which currently has the 318/auto in it. In addition, is there any modification, besides the mounts that has to be made to accodate the 440 i.e., frame, K support? I am new to Mopar and will need some help and from what I have read, this is the place.

burdar

Reaction score
If you plan on using the stock slap stick shifter, you have to make sure the replacement tail shaft has the mounting locations for the pivot bracket. Newer tail shafts don't have the mounting locations for that bracket.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The engine is a 440 & will have the 727 trans behind it , if it has the short tailshaft you will have to swap the main shaft as well as the housing otherwise it is simple to swap the tail housing over , the 318 was available with either the 727 HD trans or the light duty 904 , the tailhousing will swap from a 727 but not a 904 , you may be able to get one at the wreckers or a trans shop .
the 440 will bolt in with just mounts but a number of other things are different , the rad will be too small , wiring for the dist & coil will be short if you have a 904 trans the driveshaft will be 4 inches too long & will have the smaller slip yolk , you will need power steering & alternator brakets & probably a match pulley set all available from Roseville Chrysler or Mancini Racing . I would recommend suing an 18 " clutch fan 3 core rad & fan shroud , TTI or Dougs headers only if you are using headers . For mounts there are a few choices Shumackers has a mount kit & Mancini has Poly Loc or Mity Mounts .

cool72

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Very helpful. Also thanks for the contacts.

Back