• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 advice

Ariovistus

Reaction score
Hello! I am a newmember to your forum. I have owned a 72 Plymouth Barracuda 318,a 72 Cuda 340 4 speed, and a 72 Barracuda 340. I appreciate your E-Body Forum.

I have a 70 Plymouth Gran Coupe. I have a 1970 440 that I am trying to fix up for it. I bought it already rebuilt. I would like to get some good power out if it. I don't know what kind of pistons are in it, and I am contemplating replacing them with some forged pistons. I also don't know what cam is in it , so I plan to replace the cam with a 440 Six pack cam or one close to it so I can still use my stock torque converter. I have the original 383 , but it needs a complete rebuild. It was more cost effective to get the 440. I plan to use an Edelbrock Performer intake and the factory Carter AVS. Do you think I should get the pistons changed , or keep the ones in it? Your advice is appreciated. Thank You.

Regards, Ariovistus

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Do a leak check to see what shape the rings are in. If not good, rebuild. If your not using NOS, turbo, blower, or not racing it, forged pistons are really not needed for you. It would be an advantage if you plan to sell it though, 'cause they might! Pick a cam that works best for your combination of parts and use (ie: stick vs. auto & stall speed, intake type, driving habits, etc.).

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The performer intake is misnamed & is anything but a performer , the stock intake will run circles around it & the Holley street Dom is far better . if you want good power you need to look at a better cam grind over a 42 year old design , I would suggest a Lunati VooDoo or Crower grind tailored for Mopar .
I would probably at least pull a head or pan & find out what pistons you have & if there is wear in the bores , if you want good power you probably need to build it ground up but certainly check the engine as stated above maybe it will make enough power for your needs if it is in good condition

Challenger340

Reaction score
Check the Compression distance on the "rebuilder" Pistons FIRST before you do anything else, if thats what you have in it from the previous rebuild ?
or,
did they just re-ring and keep the 1970 Pistons ?
The reason being, most of the aftermarket rebuilder flat tops,(if thats what you have?) are NOTORIOUSLY low compression,
which you may wish to consider replacing before anything else ?
They are easily identifable, by being about .100" down hole at TDC.

Back