• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 and Edelbrock heads.

gafletch

Reaction score
Feedback please! 440, .040 over, M1 intake and Holley 750.
Lunati hyd cam, 727 to 410 Dana. Ross pistons. Wanna replace 452 heads with Edelbrock RPM Performers, 84cc. Looking for your take on the swap. Thanks.

Adrian Worman

Reaction score
Every reason in the world to fit aftermarket ally heads, especially if your 452's are stock or only mildly modified.
You can use more compression ratio with those before detonation so you can bump the CR up to 10.5;1 quite safely.
I'm just assembling a 500" stroker that's going to use a pair of closed chamber Eddys.

moper

Reaction score
It is a great swap, provided the pistons will work with them. Are the pistons dished, domed, or flat topped? Where were they installed in relation to the cylinder head gasket surface? Even (zero decked), down in the hole, or above the deck? They will be lighter, they have better ports, and they have smaller chambers than most factory heads. So win win win. Just have them checked and corrected prior to installation because like all aftermarket stuff- the workmanship (labor) sucks.

gafletch

Reaction score
Thanks. I haven't had the 452s pulled yet so I don't know what the piston surface shape is. All the Mopar mechanics here are booked up and I'm inexperienced in quench, etc. I've heard mixed reviews on Edelbrock heads but my original purpose was to cure valve float at 5,000 rpm. Hoping the Eddys will kill 2 birds with one stone; higher rpm and output. Thanks. Greg

Adam

Reaction score
It sounds like a good swap and will save a ton of weight. The 84 cc eddys are only slightly smaller than the 452s so everything should clear, still need to check it though. However, this seems like an expensive way to cure valve float when a new set of springs would probably do. Also, good time to upgrade your rocker arms if you are using stockers; you should upgrade them if going with the eddys anyway.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Be careful , I have seen Valves hit the pistons because the valves in eddy heads are not exactly in the same place so the piston may not have adequate clearance . You will also lose more heat to the alum heads , going from 88-90 cc down to 84 will not fully make up the difference but quench will be better with a closed chamber head if the clearance is correct so you need to check the height of the piston @ TDC to the deck

Back