• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Holley efi

moparnut72

Reaction score
Hello everyone has anyone installed a Holley sniper efi on their mopar? Recently installed one on my 440 have a hard time keeping it running while in gear at idle. Here are my engine specs it is a 440 cig bored .030 452 heads machined to handle .600 lift running .544 lift comp cam hyd. roller cam 11:1 forged alum. pistons 727 auto stage 2 shift kit 2000 stallany help would be appreciated

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I assume you are running a map sensor which may not like the vacuum readings at idle , I have had to program a fixed tune up to 1500- 1800 rpm in the past going to closed loop at that point .

moparnut72

Reaction score
yes running map I have read post on Holley forum and that’s exactly what they said. At one time had it idling at 900 rpm and was able to test drive it the next ime I went to drive it, it was all over the place also had an exhaust leak thinking I might have took out o2 sensor?

PPIHCracer

Reaction score
In the past on Mopars, the alternator provide an issue with the engine running at idle but not with a load. A new dual field alternator had to be installed and one field grounded. Try starting the engine and while it is idling, unplug the voltage regulator to see if the problem goes away. Also, look down the barrels with the engine idling to see if there is fuel flowing over the 4 throttle blades. Mine and a friends developed issues where the front passenger side barrel stopped flowing. The car ran but not on all four barrels.

moparnut72

Reaction score
Thanks for that info my alternator is a one wire alt so not using regulator have not checked barrels found vacuum advance leaking bad when idling IACs completely closed idling 1400 rpm when wizard is set at 950 pinch off vac to dist engine dies immediately so ordered new one will follow up in a few days gotta love technology lol!

moparnut72

Reaction score
I’m back so here’s where I’m at pulled plugs looked good showed a rich but not bad found that I was loosing vacuum through vacuum advance on distributor even though it was new less than 10 miles on it got a new distributor for it works well 15 degrees at idle 33 wot all in at 3500 rpm however now engine is running hot even on mild California days (60) degrees have 3 row aluminum 26 inch core rad high flow thermostat also new water pump with more veins on it suppose to illuminate air pockets 18 flex fan with shroud?? Anyone have any ideas 🤷‍♂️

Adam

Reaction score
I’m back so here’s where I’m at pulled plugs looked good showed a rich but not bad found that I was loosing vacuum through vacuum advance on distributor even though it was new less than 10 miles on it got a new distributor for it works well 15 degrees at idle 33 wot all in at 3500 rpm however now engine is running hot even on mild California days (60) degrees have 3 row aluminum 26 inch core rad high flow thermostat also new water pump with more veins on it suppose to illuminate air pockets 18 flex fan with shroud?? Anyone have any ideas 🤷‍♂️
I assume you have checked the afr and it is not too lean. Check to see if your lower radiator hose is collapsing from suction when you rev it up. If your lower hose doesn’t have a spring inside it may do this. I had a Cuda that was doing this. I changed a fan clutch and then to a flex fan before I happened to see it.

moparnut72

Reaction score
Yes afr is ok not too lean the problem was the radiator was plugged,got new radiator now struggles to get 160 degrees also found Holley efi temp sensor was not reading correctly got new one from local parts store now mechanical and sniper read same car runs much better going to change thermostat to 180* haven’t taken for test drive yet due to rain thanks will update when weather gets better

Adam

Reaction score
Yes afr is ok not too lean the problem was the radiator was plugged,got new radiator now struggles to get 160 degrees also found Holley efi temp sensor was not reading correctly got new one from local parts store now mechanical and sniper read same car runs much better going to change thermostat to 180* haven’t taken for test drive yet due to rain thanks will update when weather gets better
I did a Fitech system on my Ramcharger with a Magnum 360 swap. I also had problems with the temp sensor not being read correctly by the ecu. It would read ok up to 179 degrees and then drop to 145 every time (with a 195 thermostat). I had to update to a new handheld which allows the ecu to be calibrated to the temp sensor. If the ecu thinks it’s colder than it is, it will add fuel, like a choke. Also the Fitech is self learning, but it only learns above 170 degrees. Fitech has crappy tech support but it works very well now; the instructions didn’t even include how to make basic adjustments. Next time I will go with Holley Sniper2.

Back