• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 Block question

RANDY LOBERGER

Reaction score
I have a 440 block that supposedly came out of a 1970 6 pack cuda. Casting 2536430. production date 11/10/69. I can find no serial number, possibly warrant replacement? Plate by distributor has stamping S 440 and 5 11 2, not familiar with these numbers. Any ideas? Is there a difference between a 6 pack block and standard block? I am thinking not, so without a vin, block would be nothing special?

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Can you post pictures of the pad, casting date, and VIN pad on the oil pan rail?

fasjac

Reaction score
Not sure of any difference on the block it self but, would be special to me without vin stamped. Sounds like like a replacement block/short block for warranty or purchased over the counter. ??

fastmark

Reaction score
Sounds like a service replacement bare block sold from the parts Dept. A short or long block would be stamped F440 and HP. No vin number on the pan rail pad if ir was a warranty engine.

RANDY LOBERGER

Reaction score
I believe you all are correct, attached a picture of the pad, appears they stamped a W over the date, likely stands for warranty. Thinking this block was sold 5/11/72 as replacement block.
Thx.

pad stamp.JPG

IMG_2529.JPG

challenger6pak

Reaction score
A 6 pack block will be a hp2 block. The time of day dial for when the block was made has to be 2nd shift for it to be a real hp2 block. That is the common theory. Physically there is no difference in the standard block and the hp block. The hp stamping was to denote the blocks internal components.

Kenji Okazaki

Reaction score
I have a 440 block that supposedly came out of a 1970 6 pack cuda. Casting 2536430. production date 11/10/69. I can find no serial number, possibly warrant replacement? Plate by distributor has stamping S 440 and 5 11 2, not familiar with these numbers. Any ideas? Is there a difference between a 6 pack block and standard block? I am thinking not, so without a vin, block would be nothing special?
They are all same beside baked different color. It has a Tag twice bigger than ones on distributer screwed on side of brock over freeze plug if some body ordered Complete engine at dealer ship when engine was available. A friend of mine has hemi engine like that

fastmark

Reaction score
The big W stands for water tested. Look for the T to the right. I think I see t turned sideways

Back