• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 or Gen 3 Hemi

Robert72

Reaction score
Looking for cam recommendations. Sidewinder heads, ch4b intake, headers, 727 auto and 3.55 gears. Again, looking for a street car with good manners, but a nice muscle car sound.

70chall440

Reaction score
Call the cam manufacturers and tell them what you have and what you want, do not rely on the forums for this information. I am not saying that people here and elsewhere do not know but every application and expectation is different; what might be great for someone else might not be good for you. Once you get some suggestions then come onto the forum and see what members say about them. In other words, get all the information you can before making a decision. The cam guys generally have a very deep knowledge base to draw from with engineering support. If one of them won't talk to you or doesn't give the information you are looking for, then you might not want their product.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Call the cam manufacturers and tell them what you have and what you want, do not rely on the forums for this information.
This is the only online camshaft advice worth a listen... those guys design camshafts for a living. If they weren't well-versed in all aspects of design and application, they wouldn't be there. Be honest about what you have--the more information the better--and you'll always get a cam that does what you asked of them. Take their advice, don't try to improve on it by asking around or going up a size because it costs the same.

They will not always steer you into a custom grind, either. In fact, I'd guess probably more than 90% of their recommendations are for "shelf" cams, a.k.a. stuff you'd find in the catalogs.

Last edited:

Robert72

Reaction score
Talked to some cam mfg's and the recommendations are Comp Cam XE274H or PP284H, or Hughes SEH3236BL-10. Any thoughts on these cams? Thanks.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Talked to some cam mfg's and the recommendations are Comp Cam XE274H or PP284H, or Hughes SEH3236BL-10. Any thoughts on these cams? Thanks.

All decent options. I have run the Comp XE274H, also 284 and currently a 292 in my 440 with over 50,000+ miles on it.

Back