• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 steel or cast crank?

bigter33

Reaction score
70 challenger, I'm going from a small block auto trans. to a 440 manual trans. do I need to pickup a steel crank engine, I was told they don't make a flywheel for a cast crank. If I need a steel crank is this something an engine shop can change from a cast to a steel crank without too much cash? Thanks for the help

jamesdaytona

Reaction score
You don'treally need to have a steel crank unless you plan on a mega horsepower application . I've run a cast crank for 15 years in my 383 , and it still does 10's like clockwork with 420 horses . Most of the newer 440's were cast cranks ( smog years ) anyway . But they should work fine .

joes70rt

Reaction score
You can use the cast crank engine. 440 source has a flywheel with removable weights to use with the Pre 73 Steel Internal balance and the 73 and up Cast external balance Cranks.
Most of the Cast Cranks are not drilled for the Pilot Bushing. You can use a Bearing on them but you have to shorten the output shaft on the 4-speed,
Hope this helped explain!
Joe

bad440

Reaction score
You need to know the year of your engine to determine which crank is in there, 1968-1972.5(steel), 1973(mid?) cast. There is also another way of determining what crank is in there and that is the balancer, steel balancer has no weights, cast has weights and also says cast on it. Hope that helps.

Back