• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 teardown

moparguy

Reaction score
Hey guys I was working on my 440 some more today and ran into a hitch. I disconnect the yoke from the connecting arm and the piston can slide now but I cant get it all the way out. i am pulling/pushing towards the upper side of the engine and giving it the full brawnz of my 15 year old stature. I just cant get it to budge. Any help would be appreciated.

moparleo

Reaction score
top of the cylinder bore ridge

OK Here you go. I assume you are talking about the connecting rod. You have removed the rod bolts and cap. Now, with the piston in the down position, check the top of the cylinder bore for a lip or ridge at the top where the piston has worn the bore oversized. You must remove this lip before you can remove the piston. The rings on the piston are getting caught in the ridge. You need a tool called a "ridge reamer." It acts like a lathe to remove the lip by cutting the ridge from the bore. You must be careful when using this tool as you can damage the cylinder bores if not adjusted properly. If this is your first time, I would have someone else do it for you so you don't damage your block. We all have gone through this when we were younger. You can probably rent one from Auto Zone or something similar in your area.

Back